most trustable hardware reviews?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darminato

I'm looking around the internet for as many video card reviews that I can find. I'm deciding between ATI and Nvidia cards, namely the top ones. Naturally, I'm sure, once the new ones (the NV40 and the....ATI one....), reviews are going to pop up everywhere.

Can anyone refer me to their favorite and most trusted hardware review sites? I don't want to follow biased information.

-D

Anandtech is my favourite source for CPU, mobo and videocard reviews... unlike 'other' sites that tend to stick with one or another manufacturer on convinience (which is even more obvious for us working on the medium) you should be able to trust on Anand's info.

The closest to truely unbiased I've ever found was Beyond3D but that's mostly for anything concerning graphic cards.

For the rest I read a series of sites & come up with my own conclusions according to different reviews, not just one review from one site.

It depends on the reviewer. The last AnandTech review I read was a complete balls up. Inaccurate test results and flawed test methodology. May have been a one off, but just goes to show. Typically most users are happy with a review that matches their own opinions, as that is surely a sign of a accurate review ;=). Basically you have to read between the lines to properly understand what is being said. Much like statistics, reviews can be misleading if interpreted incorrectly.

Beyond3D is a very good site for 3d card reviews, and the reviews done by Brent @ [H]ard|OCP are also quite good. (Though be sure to read the text and not just look at graphs, as he's got a special testing methology which you have to know to make sense of the graphs!)

And I have to agree with Nic...
I used to like Anands reviews, as I felt they showed what there was to a card, but these days I wouldn't base any purchases of what I read there...

Anand has fallen to the level Toms Hardware was a year ago. Ie. If you like nvidia you'll like their reviews, but they aren't very accurate. Don't be surprised if you won't achieve the same results at home.

I still read their reviews, but mostly to see how overt they are.

Granted, I'm looking at this from a somewhat pro-ati perspective, but even if that were not the case I'd still be sceptical... (If you take a look at the B3D forum, you should find plenty examples of what is wrong with Anand)

the one advice i have towards hardware reviews is to not base you purchase on one review. read from many hardware review sites before you go out and spend your hard earned money. even read in some forums with problems and little things to look out for on certain products.

be very skeptical if a review site says that widget X is the best product ever! look into their rationale and check if the results are legitimate. sometimes their results are half-truths because they leave out critical data that would make you conclude otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back