Most user friendly Linux ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thmandan22

I was wondering what the most user friendly Linux is. Something that resembles Windows, for an (ex)windows users that are not very computer oriented. Thanks for your help. It would be nice if you could explain how to obtain, install these. Win ME is too corrupted on my parents PC's, Do you think it would be to much for them?

Well, the GUI is highly similar, but really that would not be my main compatibility concern.

I would be concerned about hardware compatibility, and how long tech (in terms of UNIX knowledge) it will be to maintain and configure this hardware. As a beginner, it would be better if you could avoid doing any kernel compiles, or something.

So, I would go with the latest version of Fedora Core (3) or Suse Linux.

Mandrake, Lycoris and Linspire all cater themselves to new linux users. They are designed to be very easy to install and be more user-friendly out of the box.

but doesnt Linspire cost money. They want 49.99 USD for it. I found a coupon (coupon=lindows) that seemed to give it to me for free. But of course after I bought it (for free) it only had the 4.5 iso for me to download not the 5. I was wondering how much diffrent one of those other free ones would be. Where is the diffrences at between the seemingly endless types of linuxes'?

thmandan22 said:
I am gonna put SuSE on it. It looks pretty good.
I'm pretty new to Linux, myself. I just put in SuSE Linux 9.2 Pro (which only cost me $10.75) and it's pretty friendly to new users. :)

Knoppix

Knoppix for the beginer u dont even have to install it it just runs from the cd.
and red hat or Mandrake for the professional. :angel:

I do prefer Fedora over SuSE. Ubuntu is also nice; Runs well on live cd. Knoppix is sweet too. When I installed ubuntu to hard disk It immediatly lost its apeal to me. It is alot like Fedora in many ways, but it comes with alot less in some areas. Fedora is especially nice becuase you can choose from Xfce, KDE, or Gnome desktop which you can switch between everytime you log/on off. Gnome is the best IMO.

i, upon trying fedora when it was available, found numerous stability issues (much to my dismay).

I have found that Ubuntu is the best Linux distro I have tried. It is free and there is plenty of support for it. Try ubuntu.com.

I don't think that was true over 2 years ago. Which, until your post, was the last time this thread was active.
icon13.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back