Most web pages loading incompletely

Hi,

I hope you can help me. Over the last couple of days I've been having more and more problems loading web content. Many pages load some content, but not all of it. For example slashdot.org loads but without any CSS and get2.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/ loads but the page is blank (the form/pulldowns are missing).

This is happening on every computer in my house - no matter if it's Windows 7, Windows XP or Linux - and no matter which browser (IE, FF, Chrome) or anti-virus program(s) (some have Windows Defender+Malwarebytes, some have Kaspersky). Even if I disable all that stuff, or run in safe mode.

I am getting completely normal speedtest.net results, ping, down and up. tracert to these sites seems normal. Tried resetting my cable modem (I have Time Warner) and my router (a popular D-Link model). Even tried getting a different IP address by changing my router's MAC address. Exactly the same results. Don't see any unusual error packet logs, no DDOS attack or other unusual network activity hitting my firewall, have scanned multiple computers for viruses, malware, etc. using multiple tools. Nothing is helping.

One thing I *did* do was connect my work laptop to my work network (I.e. VPN). The same web sites I'm having problems with normally work just fine when I'm going through my company's VPN.

Can anyone help me? Any suggestions? I'm tearing my hair out.

Thanks,
ST

Which D-Link model you have? How old it is? When last did you upgrade the firmware on it. How old is the cable modem? Do you have any switches between the router and network PCs.

Have you called up your ISP and report the problem. Since you have tried everything you need to have them send a hit to your modem on their end. Hook one PC to the modem and connect that way by-past the router and see if you still have the issue you are reporting.

Take a look at your Adblocking software (if any).

the HOSTS file at \windows\system32\drivers\etc should be small and
*MUST* contain at least the line 127.0.0.1 localhost but may contain many other lines also starting with 127.0.0.1

Any name other than localhost will cause that domain name to be blocked.

SO; get an admin login so you can edit that file, but first get a command prompt and enter
type \windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts and then hit enter​
if you get many many lines shown, the copy/paste these two lines:
Code:
attrib -r \windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

echo "127.0.0.1  localhost" >\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

and then follow with
ipconfig /flushdns
net stop "dns client"
net start "dns client"
your system will no longer filter domain names

Jobeard, he said also Linux System has the same effect. All PCs on the network. Otherwise the above would work.

Yea, got that but I was stabbing at the possibility that all systems got HOSTS file contamination - - rather easy to effect and have massive impact. Altering one would show clearly the answer :)

Back