Mother board Printing Self Tests- guidance needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
I have got an IBM netvista p3/ win 98 machine. It developed some problem due to which machine didn't performed the POST whenever it was switched on, and the screen only displayed the Manufacturer logo.
Initially I thought that this is due to some problem with its BIOS set up so I manually cleared the bios by sorting the jumpers from the motherboard which obviously didn’t rectified the problem. Later I did trial & error and attached a USB keyboard on the machine. The machine started ok. This showed that the problem lies with the PS2 keyboard port. But the problem I face now is that whenever the machine is switched on (before the booting begins), the printer attached to the machine is printing a self-test. Similarly whenever the machine is switched off (after windows is shut down & PC is switched off) again printer is printing a blank page. When I tried to go to the system setup to restore the factory defaults, the system is directly starting the windows bypassing the keystrokes to activate system setup.
Can any one help me in identifying the options I have to?
a. Disable printer self tests
b. Activating the system setup thru USB keyboard

regds

dear vegasmc
thankx for your response. regd cheking up with a new keyboard, yes i have already check'd it with a new ps2 type keyboard , but still i wasn't able to boot the system. To settle the issue one staright forward option could be that i shud change the motherbaord itslef, but i am really interested to know the problem which is causing the printer to print a self test whenever the pc is powered on (again i wud like to stress that self test is being initaited during POST , before winodws starts loading )
any clue ???

Ive never heard of that before. There may be a short in the PS2 port. With something like that its best to replace the mobo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back