Motherboard and Windows Vista

By bach0004151
Jan 24, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Has anyone run Windows Vista on a New Asus Motherboard?

Does it work?
  2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,266   +218

I'm sure.

I imagine so.
  3. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,455   +135

It's not just the motherboard for Vista, it's the processor type and speed, amount and type of memory. What programs you run, what video cards and a bunch of other things like having a hugh hard drive, that you'll need for MS Vista to run properly...

You can get the info on Vista here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/
  4. Goalie

Goalie Newcomer, in training Posts: 703

I have done it.

But I will never use "microsoft" and "works" in the same sentence unless refering to a crappy OEM suite...
  5. Tmagic650

Vista looks neat, (reason to have tons of memory and a great video card, and a large hard drive) but going through the "test drive" of Vista, all my 3rd party programs, that I know and love either won't work or won't be necessary any longer. The Vista Advisor scared me by telling me that it doesn't like my PCI IDE controller, and that my favorite game, Microsoft's own Halo won't run on Vista...
  6. bach0004151

bach0004151 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 31

My Asus Motherboard is new only one month old.
    I gess I will try it.
  7. Tmagic650

Are you going to buy a 64-bit processor and 2GB of memory to go with your motherboard too?

Are you sure you are ready for Vista? It may not be ready for you. I guess someone has to try it
  8. gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook Newcomer, in training Posts: 528

Vista Requirements

Here are the vista requirements coming from micorsofts site http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/capable.mspx

A Windows Vista Premium Ready PC includes at least:

1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor.
    1 GB of system memory.
    Support for DirectX 9 graphics with a WDDM driver, 128 MB of graphics memory (minimum)2, Pixel Shader 2.0 and 32 bits per pixel.
    40 GB of hard drive capacity with 15 GB free space.
    DVD-ROM Drive.
    Audio output capability.
    Internet access capability.

So as you can see, at most people might have to do is upgrade their memory. I personally would prefer to run Vista on a dual core MOBO, with about 2-3 GB of memory. But for all you people that are afraid of needing a brand new "Vista ready" pc. Do a little research before you go and spend $1000 bucks on a new system. Right now mine is running a p4 2.66 GHZ, 1GB Corsair XMS pc 2700, X1950 Radeon, with about 300 GB space. So im not worried in the least....yet
  9. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,266   +218

A Vista Capable machine has much slimmer requirements. If you don't need the 3d interface but want the enhanced features of Vista you can still do it provided you meet this:
    And even then I bet you can run it on something slower.
  10. Tmagic650

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.