TechSpot

Motherboard cannot see ATA Drive

By Bottomley57
Sep 27, 2005
  1. I recently installed a replacement like-for-like ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard, after the previous one sparked and smoked. I also replaced the dead power unit. When I booted up Windows XP could not find a specific file, which I replaced by plugging my hard drive into a friends computer as a second hard drive. Now, Windows freezes as it tries to load every time.

So - looks like the hard drive is being recognised - ie it found the missing file. And it names it as I boot up (Maxtor DiamondMax DM Plus 9 S-ATA) in the bootup text. BIOS has the CD as the primamry master and auto-detect the Hard drive doesnt seem to do anything (this may be normal).

However, to fix the Windows problem I booted off my Windows XP CD. When I select 'repair; I get the message "Setup did not find any hard drives installed in your computer". I have downloaded drivers from the ASUS website and installed them off a floppy at the F6 prompt. I have also swapped the SATA lead. And my hard drive reads perfectly as a 2nd drive in my friend's computer! I have also tried booting without the CD drive plugged in.

I have run out of options ! How can I either get WIndows repair to work OR maybe by using my friends computer get Windows repaired on my hard-drive attached to his PC ?

I am desparate - as are my kids !!

All help/ideas much appreciated. CPU is AMD K7 Athlon.

Many Thanks . . . . Dave :rolleyes:

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.