TechSpot

Motherboard failure with game installations?

By Duckworth13
Oct 16, 2005
  1. Hey everyone,
    Im pretty peeed of with my computer, I cna't install any games they all come up with corrupt or missing files even if they are brand new :( Im annoyed i have just reinstalled windows and wiped the hard drived but still nothing has anyone had this prblem or nething like this and could help please reply!

2. vegasgmc

vegasgmc TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,377

Sounds like a bad CD drive.

3. Duckworth13

Duckworth13 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 29

noe that is not the problem i have tried doing this with my other computer it does not work the games in satll o the other computer with the same cd drive but not on mine?

4. Crimsonite

Crimsonite TS Rookie

There are many factors that may cause the problem. Such as your PSU puts out less power than your system demands or struggles to meet it; corrupted CMOS, bad RAM modules or incompatibility; bad harddrive.

You could try resetting the BIOS settings by going into CMOS, reset it to default then do your own settings again and save. If that doesn't help then try clearing the CMOS by using the jumper on the mobo, if that doesn't work either then try removing the CMOS battery, leave it out for about 30min then put it back in(careful, dont break the arm that holds it), doing this with the power off and unplugged. If CMOS is not the problem, then check the RAM modules. If you have more than 1 stick then boot with 1 at a time and you may find the faulty one. As for the harddrive, do a disk cleanup, then defrag and if there's any errors on the drive Windows will alert you. Good luck!

5. Duckworth13

Duckworth13 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 29

hi thanks for the comment s however it was the memory causing the problem I bought it off ebay!!! Going to buy something new and decent.
    Jack

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.