Motherboard failure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering if anyone could help me with this.

My monitor went black the next morning after leaving computer running all night. Restarting the computer, and I still can't see anything. After careful examining the parts, I noticed that Harddrive received no power, hence, I didn't feel the vibration after turn on the power. The power led on the CDRom is also off. I also can't no longer shut down my computer using power buttom on the front panel, the switch on the back of power supply is the only way to go....

After days of troubleshooting, I still had no clues which part causing the problem, is it power supply? or motherboard? Although I found something quite interesting. Harddrive will start spinning if I unplugged the IDE ribbon from it; the same goes to CD-Rom. Is it indicating that my motherboard has failed?

I am sure my harddisk/CD-Rom are working since I can access them as secondary drive using other computer.

I'll appreciate that anyone can help me out.

need more info

I'll appreciate that anyone can help me out.
There are too many possiblities for the info you have posted.
It does appear you have eleminated a few things, you'll
need to give us:
Mainboard type
Cpu
Psu
ram amount
etc.
I'm certain we can help you
G'Luck

Jomachines said:
After days of troubleshooting, I still had no clues which part causing the problem, is it power supply? or motherboard? Although I found something quite interesting. Harddrive will start spinning if I unplugged the IDE ribbon from it; the same goes to CD-Rom. Is it indicating that my motherboard has failed?

You need to give us more like sOcRatEs said, but that right there does sound like a mobo problem. Look for any visable damage, hopefully you wont find any.

Sean

Check carefully all the capacitors (small round standing up soldered-on thingies) on that mobe, especially around the CPU. If any are leaking some dark liquid, or have a 'rounded' top (they should be flat), then try to replace them or (if you can't) replace the mobo.

Try someone else's powersupply as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back