TechSpot

Motherboard fan making strange noise

By nico1606
Nov 12, 2003
  1. So this is the first time (for about the past week) that I've heard my mobo's fan making a pretty noticable noise. Upon inspection it seems like the fan is spinning, slowing down, speeding up, slowing down..etc... Not sure what to do (and whether or not to start panicing).

The system is a Gigabye GA-7VAX with the KT400 chipset. The fan is directly on the chipset so I definately don't want this baby to die. Any ideas?

2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

Replace it immediately with a quality-fan before your mobo fries.

3. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

Your mobo won't die without a chipset fan. Maybe you will be getting random crashes when system is under heavy load. It may work fine without a fan, relying on the heatsink only. Just take the fan off and see what happens. You won't be doing any overclocking with that quiet mobo tho.

4. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 4,274

Or you can get a Zalman Passive Heatsink for Chipsets such as this one :

[​IMG]

The contact surface of the zalman heatsink is slightly smaller then the Northbridge surface so you have to make sure they make very good contact.

5. nico1606

nico1606 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 29

Do you have anything in mind? Just to make sure, it's not the power supply right? I only have a 300watt supply, everything else is working (4 fans installed all working properly). That one thing looks a little to big hehe so I'm open to suggestions.

6. Didou

It's not that much bigger then a standard Northbridge heatsink.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. nico1606

See that's weird, I don't even have a heatsink on the chipset. I'm guessing they (motherboard companies) don't go all out and give you that huh? Would it be better to just put on a heatsink instead of the tiny fan they have running on it?

Also, it's not too difficult to put on right?
    I'm a bumbling fool when it comes to tiny parts.:eek:

8. Didou

Here's the product page ( ZM-NB47J ) & here's a little Flash animation showing how to install it.

If you follow those instructions closely, you won't have any problems.:)

9. nico1606

Looks simple enough, I just need to uninstall the fan that came with it. I'm assuming there's a very little chance of it not being compatible with my mobo?

Thanks again Didou for the help.

10. Didou

That heatsink was designed to make sure it wouldn't have problems with capacitors around the Northbridge are ( if there are any ).

It's a bit "tall" but not very large so you shouldn't have much if any compatibility problems with your board, just remember to make sure the surface contact area is ideal.:)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.