Motherboard for AMD K7 CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cairo

Dear All,
My pc's problem.

The screen shows "No signal" and the red light, normally flashing does not flash now. Only the green light there.

I tested my harddisc and cables, they are all fine. So I think should be the problem with motherboard, is that right?

So, I plan to change the motherboard. I'm using AMD K7 Duron 700Mhz. Now with T.bird type (PC chips) motherboard.

The main problem is: Is most motherboard (with socket A) recently in market suitable for my old AMD 700Mhz CPU ?

For example, ASUS A7N266VM Mainboard (states: Design for AMD Athlon XP / Athlon / Duron Processor) suitable for me?

Hope to get advises.

Thanks

do your drives spin up and fans turn on when power is applied? If you are getting power, but there is no video signal, the problem could be with the vid card, motherboard or the powersupply. It might even be with the monitor or cable itself. At this point a little more info is required to properly troubleshoot this problem.

Have you tried another monitor?
You say you tested the drives and such, please elaborate on that.
Have you tried booting barebones to see if you get video?

thanks for advises.

Yes. My drives and fans all working when power is applied. About vid card, it is onboard. The monitor is working properly. I have tried to replace cables for testing and all working properly.

So, I believe it is the problem with the motherboard. Am I correct?

I am nowlooking for a suitable AMD socket A motherboard . But, dunno which one is suitable. I dunno if the latest Socket A motherboard is suitable for my old AMD Athlon CPU 700Mhz.

For example, this is the description for a ASUS mobos (that I want to buy):
==============================================
Socket-A ASUS A7N266-VM Chipset NVIDIA nForce 220-D FSB 266/200 MHz 2 x 184-pin DIMM Sockets support max. 1.0GB PC2100/PC1600 DDR-SDRAM 1 x AGP 4X (1.5V only) 3 x PCI VGA Integrated GeForce 2 GPU 2 x UltraDMA 100 IDE Audio Integrated Onboard built-in Dolby Digital (AC-3) Encoder Realtek ALC650 LAN 10/100 Back Panel I/O Ports 1 x Parallel 1 x Serial 1 x PS/2 Keyboard 1 x PS/2 Mouse 1 x VGA 1 x Audio I/O 1 x Game / MIDI 1 x RJ45 2 x USB 1.1 microATX Form Factor: 9.6" x 9.6" (24.5cm x 24.5cm)
==============================================

is it suitable for my AMD Athlon CPU 700Mhz cpu? how to know if a mobos suits for what kinds of cpu (does all "socket-A" means the same)?

thanks,
Cairo

if a motherboard supports Socket A - then it will do anything from the Duron 550Mhz all that way (in some cases) to the XP3200+
so that board will work fine with s 700mhz duron

Steg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back