Motherboard fried, is this board compatible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, my intel d875 got fried
intel.com/design/motherbd/bz/index.htm

I have found a few AGP slotted mobos and this one is what I may be going with

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157115

My question is will my new card provide the same features as the old and therefore be compatible? I checked to the best of my ability but need to be sure before I pull the trigger.

Thanks for the help

Ummm....

Well, no. The product addresses I followed show the Intel board is socket 478, while the Asrock is an LGA775. So. best guess is it will take your video card, but you'd have to spring for a processor.
You could also consider Matx size boards as they usually fit into Atx cases.
I don't know if it's worth it to directly replace your 875 board, but I do understand limited finances. The ASRock board does accept 184 pin DDR and AGP graphics, the only addition would be a new CPU. With another board you might have to buy 4 things, (CPU, board, RAM, and Video Card).

I was going to look all this up but that wouldn't help you. You need to identify each component on your motherboard. If you download "Everest Ultimate" program, you will be able to do this. #1. CPU Socket type. #2. Ram memory type. #3. Video card slot type. Be advised that many times your hard drive with Windows on it won't boot because the BIOS on your replacement board will be different. That will mean a re-install of Windows. I'm sure I'm missing a lot, but these are the main considerations about your new board installation. This is the most major job on a computer. Good Luck.

Aright, I could buy an ASUS Pc4800-E DELUXE.... that would be an alternative.

Could I get a micro atx board instead? I dont feel like paying $150 for the asus as it is rather old technology..

would any of these 3 work newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010200280+1070509907&Configurator=&Subcategory=280&description=&Ntk=&srchInDesc=

Thank you all so much for the help!

Well, It depends on who you ask......

In the broad sense, yes, it will handle the equipment you need it to handle. A Matx board will generally not have as many expansion slots. Don't know if this is important to you. I read about 5 pages of the reviews and they were hit or miss as to serviceability. (The love it/ hate it ratio was rather low).
Plan "B" would be too go with the ASRock and spring for a new processor. The Cedar Mill Core "Celeron D(s)" are rather inexpensive and probably a match for all but the most high-end 478 Pentiums. This would work well: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819112213 Also check out the other "Cedar Mill" core CPUs.

When you are starting or replying to a thread, you should check "automatically parse links in text", this will hot-link the pages you would like us to examine. See below in "additional options" in a reply or begin new thread page.

From a personal point of view I would spring for the ASRock, and try to swing the money for the processor. I have one of the Celeron D 356s and it's a nice little CPU. It's running with DDR2 Ram, which the ASRock board can also be equipped with when you come into a few more bucks.

pdyckman@comcas is on to something with his post. Do you have a copy of Windows which you could migrate to a new type of board? Bear in mind that an OEM copy of Windows dies with a motherboard. (Please, don't answer this question in the forum, I ask it as something for you to think about).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back