Motherboard/Graphics Card Problems!Help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I bought a computer brand new off ebay it worked a treat. I then bought a few bits and pieces (DVD RW drive, memory card reader etc) and installed them, they work fine. However, when I put the 8800GT in the motherboard and plugged everything in it refused to boot (fans spinning etc but nothing on screen). A friend had a look and told me that my power supply was too low. My friend also tried the graphics card on his computer and it worked fine. So having bought a new 500watt PSU I tried again but the same thing happened. Having done research on the internet I found out that the PCIe slot on my motherboard I had been using "wasn't backwards compatible" or words to that effect. (That motherboard is a small MSI, not sure of exact model). I then bought a new motherboard off Aria (ASUS P5KPL-VM) which should have worked with my graphics card etc. I plugged it in and wired everything together and with or without the 8800GT my computer doesn't boot, the CPU fan is also running at about half speed. Is this something wrong with this motherboard? Any suggestions about the graphics card? Can it work on my old motherboard etc? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Chris.

Something there in that relationship between the board and the video card.
Sounds like time to go back to the most simple install, then add components until the problem reappears.
Have you thoroughly checked out the video graphics driver, even going back to a previous driver?
I would go over the board with a strong light and a magnifing glass to search for that tell tale burnished look.
How good is the quality of the power supply?
All plugs and cable been removed and reseated. Memory been tested in another board? Or one at a time on that board?
This is sometimes the period when you miss the obvious. Get away from it for a day, and come back with a good meal and plenty of rest. You may be just missing something that you might easily see next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back