Motherboard installation problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in BIG trouble..
I got the new motherboard and processor today:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116253
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813157092

To begin with, the installation manual for the motherboard is HORRENDOUS !!

I installed everything into a new case with the new power supply. I connected the connectors for the power button and the reset buttons and both the LED connectors.

Now as soon as I connect the power cable into the PSU, the computer turns itself 'ON' and the power and the reset buttons don't seem to be working.
Now here.. by computer turns 'ON' I mean that the PSU fan starts spinning, the processor fan starts spinning and the graphic card fan starts spinning. However I do not see anything on the screen and neither do I hear any BEEPs from the motherboard.

I am really worried as to what can be wrong. Did I connect the power and reset connectors wrong ? Is the motherboard DOA ??

The manual does'nt give clear instructions anyway.
The power connector has one YELLOW and one WHITE. I am presuming the WHITE is ground. I tried switching the power connector by 180degrees as well but that doesnt help either.
Seems like the motherboard is not powering up or something ? but the fans start spinning as soon as I connect the power cable to PSU !

PLEASE HELP !! :confused: :confused:

thanks in advance..

Here is a link to the motherboard manual in case needed:
http://www.asrock.com/manual/775Dual-VSTA.pdf

The only thing that I can think of is on page 23 of your manual under System Panel Header. Looking closely, the led for the power and for the hdd usage need to be plugged in horizontally while the connections for the power and reset buttons need to be plugged in vertically.

Usually a motherboard turning it self on means a dead board. But you may have an inproper front pannel connection. disconnect all front pannel connections (switches, leds,etc) and try it again, if it still starts by itself it is a dead board.

Chimworth said:
The only thing that I can think of is on page 23 of your manual under System Panel Header. Looking closely, the led for the power and for the hdd usage need to be plugged in horizontally while the connections for the power and reset buttons need to be plugged in vertically.

I think the power and the reset buttons are also horizontal. It's written on the motherboard as well.
But why on earth would the motherboard not boot-up !!?? :mad:

Well you mentioned that buttons didn't seem to work. There is a chance that the case has mislabeled the power switch and reset switch. Maybe try swaping them?

Chimworth said:
Well you mentioned that buttons didn't seem to work. There is a chance that the case has mislabeled the power switch and reset switch. Maybe try swaping them?
yes Chimworth.. i tried switching them as well..
its so disappointing.. my first ever core duo.. sighzz :(

dmill89 said:
Usually a motherboard turning it self on means a dead board. But you may have an inproper front pannel connection. disconnect all front pannel connections (switches, leds,etc) and try it again, if it still starts by itself it is a dead board.

I tried this dmill89.. even if i don't connect any of the connectors from the case to the motherboard (PLED, HLED etc.) the computer still turns on as soon as plug the power cable in the PSU.

So are we sure that it is a dead board ???

It seams likely that it is a dead board but to be sure remove the motherboard and sit it on a cardboard box. Have only the cpu, ram, video(if not integrated), and powersupply connected. if it still starts on it's own the board is probably bad. If it works properly it was probably shorting on the metal of the case.

dmill89 said:
It seams likely that it is a dead board but to be sure remove the motherboard and sit it on a cardboard box. Have only the cpu, ram, video(if not integrated), and powersupply connected. if it still starts on it's own the board is probably bad. If it works properly it was probably shorting on the metal of the case.

ran the whole setup on a cardboard box as well..
same problem..
returning the motherboard and the processor to newegg.. getting full refund..
need some time to recover from the trauma now.. lol
thanks for all the help everyone..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back