Motherboard issues

veilreaper

Hello. I recently had a mother board go dead on me. I purchased the exact same motherboard I had. the new board is same model, brand and all that, but the overclocking on it is considerably worse for some reason. Any suggestions as to why this might be? as an example my rig is

fx 4100 quad core
radeon 6670 gpu
kingston hyperx 1866 8 gigs ram
ocz vertex 3 ssd
500 gb western digital
asrock 990fx extreme3
corsair 600w gs600

The first 990fx was running stable for quite some time at 4.4 ghz with 1.385 vcore or something close to that. I had pushed up as far as 4.8 stable and decided I didn't like the temps it was running so I backed it back down a bit. This new board cannot hit 4.4 no matter how high I put the vcore. what can I do to figure out what is causing this? thanks.

The answer is in the question - you had a fairly new board die, an Asrock (brand not known for reliability), so you went out and bought another one of the same model as the one that failed, presumably to avoid re-installing Windows due to major hardware change. I don't understand why you'd buy the same model after an early failure, unless you know what caused it (dropped screwdriver, shorted PSU, etc). I would have realized that I took a chance on a cheap brand, rolled the dice and lost, and replaced it with another brand, one of the top 3 (Asus, Gigabyte, MSI). Obviously you were on a tight budget for this build, and I'm impressed that you went with an SSD and fast RAM. If overclocking is important to you (as it should be), return the Extreme3 and get an Asus board for $150 or a Gigabyte for $125. If you get another Extreme3, maybe it will OC good but have other issues, and maybe it will fail again. All mobos are so complicated that designing a reliable one is very difficult, and cheap components almost guarantee failure at some point.

The failure was due to my doing, not the board. So while I understand you get what you pay for especially in computers, the board was doing really great for me until I broke it. I guess my question still stands as it over locks so much worse than the other. I didn't know if there was a way to fix that.

Edit: and I guess to further my point about buying another is because I had such great success with the first one. It over clocked well, bios was simple, and all around was just great for me. That's why I bought another. Thanks for the response

Last edited:
I apologize for the double post. It wouldn't let me edit my other one again for some reason. I understand what you are saying now. Can you recommend a board that will be guaranteed to over clock well? I will be upgrading my graphics card soon so I guess if I am spending the money I better do it right.

Edit. Around 150 or less would be a good price point.

I apologize for the double post. It wouldn't let me edit my other one again for some reason. I understand what you are saying now. Can you recommend a board that will be guaranteed to over clock well? I will be upgrading my graphics card soon so I guess if I am spending the money I better do it right.

Edit. Around 150 or less would be a good price point.
Something like this - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131851
Notice it has more power phases than the Extreme3 (6+2+2 vs 4+1), and beefier heat sinks. Asus has the best BIOS, with the most OC friendly settings, and the best RAM support if you ask me. Their Digi+ power chip gives very precise control over all voltages and frequencies. It may require a bit more research to find all the optimum settings, but worth it for a high, stable overclock. I have zero experience with AM3+ boards, since I'm mainly an Intel guy, but I own Intel Z68, Z77, and Z87 boards by Asus and they all work great and OC well to this day. They cost a little more for a good reason (they're engineered to a higher standard). Nothing will guarantee a high overclock, but boards like the Crosshair V Formula ($276 at Amazon, $224 at NewEgg but sold out) will give you the best shot. You should be fine with the $144 M5A99FX Pro R2.0, though, unless you're trying to break records or something.

Not looking for record breaking lol. Just a guy that likes to get the most out of what I pay for. Thanks a bunch for the replies and the help. Got some RMA ing to do lol.

Back