Motherboard problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikey_vladkov

Hi,

I am having problems with my motherboard I just bought. I am building my own PC and I bought everything brand new. When I installed everything(following the steps in all manuals very carefully), my new computer didn't start, like not even the fans of the case and CPU started working. However my motherboard LED light was on, so I knew that there was power applied. When I pressed the power button on the case I heard a loud and quick noise, like something shortening out. I unplugged everything and trased back all my work. Nothing was wrong, except the fact that I might have overpowered the motherboard. My motherboard powers through two outlets- one 24-pin and one 4(or optional 8-pin) outlet. I connected the 24-pin power cable from the supply to the board and then I wasn't sure, if I should use the 4-pin connection or the full 8-pin one. My PSU had both options. So I did used the 8-pin connection. Is overpowering possible, and if it is, does that mean that my board is toasted? I dismounted everything and nothing was burned, shorted or just plain looking wrong. I corrected my mistake and the computer didn't started again. I don't know what to do. I ask for help from anyone. If you need more information please let me know.
Thank you.

Sounds like you may have fried something. What motherboard are you using?

ASUS P5E3 Deluxe/ Wi-Fi Edition
It is good card and I just, as we speak, triple checked all the connections. There are all fine. I am afraid that I might have not used the right connectors from the power supply. That is the only thing I can think of for now. I have like a whole bunch of cables coming out of the PSU,marked differently but all looking the kind of the same. I have an FSB Everest 800W, power supply.

And something else. Is there any potential threat for the other components. I bought some really nice graphichs card, and CPU?
Thank you for your response.

Yes, there is the possibility that other components could have been damaged. I'm not saying they are damaged, just that it's a possibility. I think I would have used the P4 12V connector from the power supply to the corresponding connector on the mobo instead of the 8 pin. But regardless, that loud noise is a bad thing and I doubt it will heal itself. :)

You'll have to try to test the various parts.

I tested my power supply today on another computer and it failed to start. However I also tested the motherboard with a different PSU and the green LED light came on. I think all the other components are fine but it is the power supply that shorted out. I ordered a new one and returning the old one. Next time I will use the 4-pin P4 connector from the PSU to the CPU. How did you know what the name of the connector was?

Thank you for your help. I will keep you posted on my progress as soon as I get the new power supply, sometimes next week.

Most motherboards use the same P4 12V connector. It's specifically for the CPU. A few motherboards use an 8 pin.

is it possible to fry your video card if the power cables are not connected properly?
I bought a high-end graphics card and it requires two separete sources of power from the PSU unit.

I followed the instructions carefully, but still I am afraid that the surge from the power supply might have damaged the card.
What do you think?

Well, since there is only one way to install the connectors on the graphics card, you can't plug it in wrong unless you forced it. If it requires two auxiliary plugs and you only install one, it will simply not start up usually. On the other hand, if you don't shut down the PC before plugging or unplugging anything, you could cause damage.

When the power supply blew, it could have taken out the graphics card or other component. There's no way to say for sure until you check them one by one.

Thanks man,

I bought a new power supply yesterday and everything is working just fine. I am enjoying a great computer that I can proudly say I built myself.
Thank you for your help and time.

God Bless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back