TechSpot

Motherboard problems

By jtripper
May 15, 2009
  1. hi , I have an hp a820n motherboard.The heatsink is held in by 4 clips .2 fell of ,and now it overheats and shuts down .Are there any repair kits or does anyone have any ideas how to hold down the other 2 clips down .One of the clips is missing altogether .

2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

3. jtripper

jtripper TS Rookie Topic Starter

my heatsink is held in by 4 clips .2 are missing from the board .any idea where nto get the parts ?

4. kimsland

5. jtripper

between the heat sink and the chip ,there is some kind of glue or grease .any ideas what it is ?

6. kimsland

7. jtripper

i have an hp a820n desktop .i had a problem where the comp.would just shut down .i replace the power supply and i noticed the heat sink was coming off .i had it reattached ,but the problem came back .i then thought it might be a hardware problem and i did a total system restore .when i finished i used the comp.for about an hour and it did it again .anybody got any ideas i have not tried yet .i thank you for any responses .The temperature of the cpu reads 77c ,any ideas what might have happened or how to cool it down ?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.