Motherboard question

Status
Not open for further replies.

greatman05

I recently (by accident) removed a processor from one of my computers. In doing this, until I removed the processor from the heatsink, it became impossible to install. Now, my question is, (since I didn't apply any extra thermal compund), will my processor run hotter? If so, do I need to use a better cooler, or simply add more thermal compound? The processor is a Intel Celeron 2.5gHZ socket mPGA478 with stock cooling inside of a Compaq S5010NX computer system.

It's not a question of extra thermal compound. You have to clean off the old compound and apply fresh compound. To reassemble without doing anything, seriously risks overheating the CPU and quickly too.

How much will this compound cost? How much do I apply? How would I clean this compound off the CPU without damaging it?

It depends on how many ounces you buy. From about $5 to $16.

For how much to apply, check this Artic Silver site. You can use isoproply alcohol to clean it off.

They said in the document to attach the heatsink and twist it counterclockwise and clockwise at least once. What does this do? I thought you were supposed to spread it out with something before attaching the heatsink.

Twisting it will spread the paste out thoroughly and make sure it sits as flat as possible, if you think about it, it's common sense!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back