Motherboard recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to upgrade in a few months, and I was wondering what motherboard to look at. I am planning on getting an e6850 or q6600 processor, I have an 8600 GT (PCI-E), and would like to use at least PC2 6400 ram. My first question is whether or not my graphics card will bottleneck either of those cpu's. If so, would it be more worth it for me to get an SLI-capable board, and another 8600 GT, or buy a better card (about $250 budget). I would like to spend at most around $150 for the motherboard. I would like to overclock, but not extremely so.

Avoid a new or recently released motherboard. Rely upon good reviews of boards, such as those found on www.tomshardware.com, www.anandtech.com and other such sites.
Too many motherboard manufacturers use their customer base as the final quality control of their recently released boards.
There are also monthly reviews of the latest video graphics cards to help you decide...
Do lots of reading. Avoid any component that has no published tests and reviews. Read the responses on forums such as Techspot.

The 8600GT, even in SLI, would bottleneck those CPUs.

I'd suggest the Core2Quad, since they're pretty cheap, and should outperform the E6850 in the near future, when games are programmed for multiple cores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back