Motherboard sits too low??

Status
Not open for further replies.

onesmartidiot

im prepping my case again because my new processor and ddr2 should be here on wednesday

i went to transfer my netgear card from my old pc to this one, and its compatable but dosent click all the way in.

when i take the board out the card seats perfectly, the brass standoff i used is the same height as the pressed standoffs. and the other size standoff i have will raise the board so much it might crack.

would this card be ok only being half in? its actually more like 3/4 in and toward the back it sits in all the way.

the only solution i have is to stack round carboard circles under the pci standoff or i can remove the backplate to the card but then it will wobble in the breeze and put alot of stress on the connector when the box is placed straight up.

ideas? lol

with card in parallel check gap between tab and case
make sure the bottom of bracket has slight bend in it ,to back of case
now whats the diff between the shorter stand offs and the longer ones
if it's close to the gap size use the longer standoffs
you should look close at the way the bracket is attached to the card you can sometimes get a little adjustment out of it here by loosening the screws
look at the angle of the top tab should be bent 90 degrees
look to see if MB back plate is caved in a little
card should never be canted on angle
my common MB standoffs are 0.250 +- .010
thats 1/4 inch in size 6.35 MM

You will have to take out the motherboard to install the new CPU and heatsink, so carefully inspect and assemble all the motherboard standoff's then. I'm sure you are missing something...

"I'm prepping my case again because my new processor and DDR2 should be here on Wednesday"..."I went to transfer my netgear card from my old pc to this one, and its compatible but doesn't click all the way in"...

Is this a new case or the original case? I'm confused

(Spelling and structure corrected in quoted text)

My two standoffs arent even close in size, the one that halfway works is about 1/4 inch and the other is double (1/2)

I tired taking loose the screws on the netgear card and gained a hair of height... but the tv wonder wont budge because of the catv connector on the back.

tmagic:
"I'm prepping my case again because my new processor and DDR2 should be here on Wednesday"..."I went to transfer my netgear card from my old pc to this one, and its compatible but doesn't click all the way in"...

Is this a new case or the original case? I'm confused

The case im having this problem with is my "new" one thats never been used. It is old though because its about 4 years old. The netgear and tv wonder card are coming out of my old A64 case because it dosent really work too well anymore (the system not the card).

I already have the M/B out because i know that i have to carefully snap one of those crap plastic tabbed heatsinks from intel (unless they changed it since last year).

the only thing i can come up with is maybe the backplate the board mounts to (is that what youre talking about samstoned?) might be low in the bottom corner. so i can try with a tire tool to pull that corner up or i can find some nylon or pvc washers to put under the 2 standoffs to give it more height at the rear...

Whatever you do, don't bend or stress the motherboard. I don't really understand what is causing this problem. ATX Cases are standard. Even 4 year-old ATX cases are standard. Are the motherboards the same size? Are both ATX or mini-ATX boards?

I've had this happen too many times to count
the tab at the bottom of the pci card bracket does not go all the way down the slot is bent or formed wrong
then again match the bracket to another one see if bottom tab is same
if tab is right length and does touch bottom of slot it has to be the backplate that hold the motherboard is set in wrong or out of alignment (if nothing else is bent)
I've had 1 case in the hundreds of a cheap Chinese video surveillance card having a bad bracket I whacked it of with cutoff wheel
:chef:

lol dont worry, im not gonna bend my board and kill it. having to buy another one would defeat the purpose of a "budget pc" :stickout:

i started looking at the backplate and (very closely) i could see it slowping down toward the bottom of the case.

I just took a screwdriver to the bottom and pulled it up a bit and everything seems fine now.

you mention cheap chinese stuff which made me remember i only gave about 20 bucks new for this case lol.

tmagic: the msi board the cards came out of was full atx (k8t-neo-v)

the board they are going into is mini or micro atx. I cant remember exactly what it is all i know is there is only 2 pci slots and no wiggle-room lol.

ill be sure to let you guys know how the system is when i build it (or the next bump i hit) haha

Mini or micro ATX are the same I believe. One, two or three PCI slots. It's the ITX that is really small...

onesmart***** said:
im prepping my case again because my new processor and ddr2 should be here on wednesday

i went to transfer my netgear card from my old pc to this one, and its compatable but dosent click all the way in.

when i take the board out the card seats perfectly, the brass standoff i used is the same height as the pressed standoffs. and the other size standoff i have will raise the board so much it might crack.

would this card be ok only being half in? its actually more like 3/4 in and toward the back it sits in all the way.

the only solution i have is to stack round carboard circles under the pci standoff or i can remove the backplate to the card but then it will wobble in the breeze and put alot of stress on the connector when the box is placed straight up.

ideas? lol

I had this problem when I transferred my mobo to my new full tower case. The solution was quite simple and a dumb mistake on my part. Make sure you use the mounting screws the come with the case and not the older ones...

ITX!? they have an even smaller one!? holy cow i can barely get around an ATX board without accidentally unplugging things lol.

what do you mean "older screws"?

i bought this case 4 or 5 years ago brand new, mounted a board in it, my uncle didnt like the type of box (both sides dont come off) so we transfered it into another case. i dont know whatever happened to the origional screws it came with, so i went to this crap computerstore krazykenny and bout a random assortment of screws.

i know what your thinking, but the standoffs i used were all the same height. pulling the backing plate toward the top of the pci card seemed to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back