TechSpot

motherboard standoffs and little red washers

By gsgleason
Aug 14, 2003
  1. okay, a case comes with the standoffs and screws and these little red washers. Are you supposed to use those washers? If so, where? In my A+ class, we didn't use those little red washers, and I thought the contact between the motherboard and the screws insured good grounding. What are you supposed to do with those little red washers?

2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

Washers are to prevent the standoff or the screw accidentally shorting a track running near the hole. You will have plenty of grounding from screws/standoffs that you don't put washers on.

3. Telexen

Telexen TS Rookie Posts: 21

I've never used them personally...just don't try to jam screws in awkwardly or something.

4. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 6,504   +6

agreed. you don't need these, but its a good idea to use them. but a far better idea is to actually fit the motherboard in correctly.

5. SubKamran

SubKamran TS Rookie Posts: 303

Sorry for bringing this back from the dead, but the washers go on top of the mobo right? And then you put the screw in? :D

Sorry, I haven't put a computer together for about 3 years :D

In this order, true?

1. Gold standoff; Put in case.
    2. Mobo on top of standoffs.
    3. Washer on top of mobo hole.
    4. Screw in.

6. SubKamran

SubKamran TS Rookie Posts: 303

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.