Motherboard upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently have a PentiumII motherboard currently running Win98SE that I'm going to upgrade with a Intel PentiumIV motherboard and then upgrade to WinXP after getting it up and running. I want to reuse my hard drive w/ current OS, CD and floppy. I know I need to upgrade the video card. Is this going to be a major hassle? Any suggestions before I dive into the project? Any help/procedures would be appreciated.

First of all, Welcome to Techspot Jackld!

Upgrading to a newer board, RAM and CPU aint that hard if you have built a pc before. Well the best thing right now is to give up your current PC specification and your budget, then we can give you some recommendation.

It's going to be a big undertaking! A lot of work is usually invovled since you'll have to gut and rebuild your entire system.

To replace that board, you will need new memory, a new CPU and a new power supply that is rated 300w or higher.

You board and case COULD also be the wrong form factor, in which case you will have to replace the case as well.

OK, I think I gave you guys too much unnecessary information. Here's where I am. I have the new motherboard (PIV D875PBZLK w/Intel 2.8GHZ CPU), new case, new power supply, new video card and 1GB RAM. This is what I want to do. Reuse the old HD w/OS, CD, floppy and boot up on the the OS/programs that are on the HD. I do plan to upgrade to W2K Pro later. Unfortunately I couldn't backup the old HD's (I know I should have. As you guys know hind site is 20/20) because the old computer crashed. All of the parts are now assembled in the new case and it's power up time. What's going to happen? Or maybe a better question is what do I do prior to turning on the switch.

The Operating system may not even work. That is because you have a completely different chipset on the motherboard and the drivers are loaded for the old chipset.

If you had 2 partitions, I would free one up and install Winxp on it using a win98 emergency boot floopy. I would not buy the XP Upgrade. Buy the OEM version of XP home or XP Pro. WinXP boots from the CDROM and has its own version of FDISK.

You might get win98 to work if you just reinstall it on top of itself.

You never said how you had the partition and logical drives set up on the hard drive. Ideally you should have at least 2 partitons. One for the OS and one for saved documents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back