Motherboard vs. CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaroddog

I've isolated some infrequent blue screen errors to my motherboard (chaintech 7njl6) or my cpu (amd athlon xp 2800+). Just as an opinion, which would you consider more likely to be the problem component?

If I were to guess. I`d say probably the mobo.

This is because mobo`s tend to go wrong, more than cpu`s.

It might be worth you while, asking if your local pc repair shop can test your cpu for you.

That way you`d know for sure, before splashing out on a new mobo, only to find it`s your cpu at fault.

Regards Howard :)

Well, I've got another mobo, but since this problem has become so sporadic, I'm wondering if I'll even see it within the first couple of days. I'd like to order a new video card, but I'm apprehensive. The other mobo is pretty decent, but only has an agp 4x slot. I'd like to go ahead and get a video card here. Is there any good way to induce blue screens other than games. I can't even run the game that was giving me trouble tolerably with this Geforce 2 card. So I really would like to order a new video card. What do you think? I only got a couple of reboots when I added a stick of 512 RAM to my system. But I adjusted my latency timing and plus it was trying to run in dual channel mode with an unmatched pair (different ratings, speeds, brands, and SIZES! One was 512 the other 128). So it could have been due to that. Other than when I added RAM (unmatched, overclocked, and dual channel mode- not good for someone shooting for a stable system), I haven't had any reboots since changing drivers for my mobo. I'm considering just getting the new card, giving it quite a run for the first few days, switch mobos, or whatever I need to do and then returning it (I'll have 30 days) if I end up isolating the processor.

You can stress test your cpu using the Prime95 programme from HERE

As for upgrading your video card. That`s probably a good idea. You`re obviously seriously limited with that Geforce2.

However, don`t ask me to recommend one, because I never play games, so probably I`m not the best person to advise you.

When you run more than one stick of ram, particulaly in dual channel mode. It really is important to make sure both sticks of ram are the same. It`s probably an even better idea to get a matched pair of ram sticks.

Could be both?

Take it all apart, use the air dust removal and clean up all your fans and air vents and PS and parts. Put back all together in your case.

Do this let's go with the min

CPU (you have it)
512MB of RAM
HD 80GB (don't know what size you have)
Windows XP Pro (if you have it)
Hookup keyboard, mouse and Monitor
Network it into your Network

Install everything and let the PC run for a week and see what happens?

There are some test you could run with third-party free software the one mention here I don't know about I use a CD-ROM with ton of stuff you run in DOS or Windows. But the old way of doing it is what I had said above to do.

Give me your take on this:

I installed Prime95. I started the stress test and I ran for only 8 minutes without errors and then after I got back from town I ran it another time, only to see it fail after 6 minutes. I traded this 512MB stick of DDR400 from Mushkin for a generic stick of 128MB of DDR266. Prime95 has now ran for about two hours with no problem. Here's the catch: Memtest86 ran for hours with no problems on that stick of 512, it reported no errors. Is this still indicative of faulty RAM? Which is a better memory tester? (Also could my motherboard have anything to do with this?)

Thanks,
Jarod

Well. Some faulty ram can pass Memtest. Unfortunately I`m not aware of a better memory testing programme. However, I am open to suggestions.

If your system is now stable with the generic ram, and continues to be so. It would seem that you have found the culprit.

Prime95 is primarily for stress testing your cpu, not for memory testing.

If you want to try a different memory tester, then look HERE.

I have never used the Windows memory diagnostic, so can`t say if it`s any good or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back