Motherboard with Ubuntu/Linux support

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrustyOldGeezer

I built this system in March 2009 and windoze vista 64 home premium.

This particular edition of vista was a nightmare from day one and I eventually found a work-a-round to get Ubuntu installed. NO Linux support from the MB manufacturer.

5 days after getting it to a dual boot system, vista stopped recognizing the mouse and keyboard.

So, I have a MOBO that doesn't like Ubuntu and is a nightmare to try to fond workarounds for.

Here is what I have to work with:

XFX nForce 750a SLI Motherboard - NVIDIA 750a SLI, Socket AM2/AM2+, ATX, Audio, Video, HDMI, DVI, PCI Express 2.0, Gigabit LAN. S/PDIF, USB 2.0, eSATA, RAID

AMD Phenom 9500 Processor HD9500WCGDBOX - 2.20GHz, 4 x 512KB Cache, 1800MHz (3600 MT/s) FSB, Agena, Quad-Core, Retail, Socket AM2+, Processor with Fan

Kingston PC6400 800MHz 4GB DDR2 Desktop Memory - (2 x 2048MB), 240 Pin

OCZ SLI-Ready Dual Channel 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory (2x2048MB)

XFX GeForce 9600 GSO Fatal1ty Edition Video Card - 768MB DDR2, PCI Express 2.0, Dual Link DVI, SLI Ready

Seagate 500GB Serial ATA HD 7200/16MB/SATA-3G

And the full sized ATX tower w/750 watt PS.

Which Motherboards would be the best to work with that HAS Linux SUPPORT?

Thanks for all the help over the years guys!

I truly do appreciate it!

Drew

Is there a specific component on that motherboard that you're having problems with? I can't imagine that the motherboard is not "compatible" with linux - in fact, I've found threads with people using Ubuntu with that mobo. I also find it odd that you'd have a Windows Vista issue with that mobo since most of the users I see online who use it are running Vista or 7 64-bit. Perhaps you have a faulty motherboard and it's not a problem with the model itself.

Well, since the Mobo support team was the ones that informed me that they do not support linux, I would say there is a high probability that the motherboard does not support linux.
And yes, I do use Ubuntu with this MB, but it requires a lot of work-a-rounds.

And it was a faulty version of vista. I have that from their tech support.

talk basics: The MB has nothing that is OS specific.
The BIOS controls the hardware and that is where the firmware resides, but the drivers to all the work.

IMO, your issue is to get Linux drivers for your specific distribution of linux, and you need
a detail list of chip sets to get those drivers.

What do you mean by "a MOBO that doesn't like Ubuntu"? Have you faced any issues on Linux itself?

If your peripherals are causing any issues on Vista try and reinstall the chipset drivers. Also, you mentioned that you required a "workaround" to install Ubuntu. What workaround? Ubuntu and Windows should not have any issues in dual booting.

To play with Linux without the necessity of 'installing it', get a copy of a CD like Knoppix which
will configure and run on 99.9% of all PCs (also demostrating that your M.B. has no issues).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back