Motherboards keep dying

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't consider myself a computer novice, but I have encountered a continuous problem that I just can't seem to correct. Since November, my son and I have fried 5 motherboards...in two different computers...and opposite ends of the house.

I know you'll ask me what kind of Mobos we're using, but that doesn't seem to matter. One was a Soltek, two were Epox, one was DFI and the most recent was Biostar. I could go into the models, but, again, I don't think it matters.

Our boxes are fairly new. We each built our own computers from parts purchased through Newegg.com. Mine was built exactly a year ago, my son's a few months before that. New cases, new components, etc.

At opposite ends of the house, we are on different circuits. The only similarity we have between our computers is the cable Internet line. We're both hooked in to the same router.

Any suggestions? I'm getting more than a little frustrated.

What do you mean by fried? Fried as in scorched/burned, or fried as in blown/bulging capacitors, or fried as in just not working with no visible damage?

Wow. This is wierd.

How about surge protectors? I know you say you are on different circuits in the house, but still, perhaps your entire home wiring is sending out surges that are frying you up....

Bizarre.

Did you use the same PSU in both cases? (thinking that it could be a bummed model that is prone to frying mobos)

What are the common parts between the two?

I guess the only other thing it could be is your router. My knowledge of routers is not great, but I suppose it is possible that it is sending out a power surge.... not many other possibilities at this point.

Ghosts?

Both PSU's are stock (came with case). One is Turbolink, one Rosewill. Could it be that both need to be replaced with more powerful units?

I should mention that we NEVER had problems like this until November. My initial thought was ESD, due to the excessive dryness (desert winters - heater going - perfect combination for static).

I had a friends computer at the house for over a month and it was plugged into the same power source and same router as the one that died on me today. Nothing ever happened to it. No failures, etc.

My laptop is often plugged into the same router, as well. No failures.

Well, in all honesty, regardless of whether or not it is the problem it would be a worthwhile investment to get some better PSUs. There are so many problems in this forum that arise from power supply issues (probably the number one cause) and PSUs that come with cases (in general) are particularly bad news.

For $50 you can get high quality 400W psus these days. Look on newegg for PSUs made by FSB (fortron) for example.

It would be a strange thing that BOTH your psus are frying motherboards, but at this point I'd say that although the possibility is low, it is still the highest possibility as to what is causing your troubles.

And from what you describe, it does sound like a power issue. Either from your house or from the PSU. Since you have those high end surge protectors... I am leaning towards the PSUs.

If you do decide to replace them, here is a must read:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=792566

Thank you, I appreciate the input. I was just discussing the possibility of replacing the PSU's in both boxes. Of course, he wants a new case anyway. I'll keep you posted.

If you are going to get new cases, try and get one without a PSU, or just take out the PSU that comes with the case and put a new one in. Unless you buy from Antec for example, as their psus in their cases are actually very good quality.

I hope this works out for you! Having to replace motherboards every few months... OUCH.

Update

I thought I'd come back and update everyone on the mobo issue. I replaced the psu's in both boxes with 400w and have yet to have a problem since. I did have a mobo on which the LAN port failed, but that's a separate issue. Everything else on the mobo was fine.

Thank you, everybody, for your input on this problem!

Well I'm sorry I missed this thread, most interesting. How long have the new PSUs been in and how long did it take for a new mobo to die?
As you already have been informed and now a reformed believer a bad crappy PSU is a PC's worst nightmare, but even I can't believe that BOTH those case power supplies were so bad they killed all those nice mobos. Kinda makes you want to have a moment of silence.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back