TechSpot

Moto X teardown reveals $214 bill of materials

By Shawn Knight
Aug 28, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. A recent IHS iSuppli teardown of Motorola’s Moto X smartphone revealed a total bill of materials (BOM) of $214. The firm notes this figure is in line with other Asian-assembled smartphones but truth be told, you’re paying a premium to...

Read more

2. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 6,982   +908

Wow that is expensive for such low end components.

3. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,087   +747

Using older hardware shouldn't be a problem for most normal users. By the time the latest and greatest hardware is even released it's already obsolete and I don't feel the extra personalisation can make up for it's price. It certainly doesn't interest me, but that's just me.

4. MrAnderson

MrAnderson TS Maniac Posts: 488   +10

Well I say deal with the premium. You cannot have it both ways... complain about jobs and things being made or built in US then get upset that it cost more.

Anyways, I think although they are not wowing us with state of the art hardware, they differentiate with unique features and customizations. Moreover, the price they are asking does not seem too exuberant. In mobile devices, honestly I can careless about having the latest hardware. What matters is that it performs well, feels snappy, and the features work. The only part of that concerns hardware is that it stays "performant" after a few years of OS upgrades.

5. RenGood08

RenGood08 TS Booster Posts: 191   +13

For people who don't hardly use their cellphones for anything but are interested in more technology like an android, this phone might be alright for them. Other than that I'm not overly impressed with this cellphone. I can assure you I won't purchase it. And besides I believe it will be on the Verizon network not AT&T (which is my provider.)

6. MrAnderson

MrAnderson TS Maniac Posts: 488   +10

Honestly, I can say I'm not getting it either for my phone.

However, If no Nexus 5 hits anytime soon (next 6 months), I might get one for a developer phone. But my regular use phone is iPhone, at least until Apple manages to make my normal use cases with the phone is awkward.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.