Moto X teardown reveals $214 bill of materials

Shawn Knight

Staff member

A recent IHS iSuppli teardown of Motorola’s Moto X smartphone revealed a total bill of materials (BOM) of $214. The firm notes this figure is in line with other Asian-assembled smartphones but truth be told, you’re paying a premium to own a smartphone assembled in the US.

While it’s true that the Moto X’s $214 BOM ($226 once manufacturing expenses are included) sits roughly in the middle of the pack in terms of cost to build, one must also remember the device isn’t on the same playing field as high-end handsets like Samsung’s Galaxy S4 or the iPhone 5. For example, the Moto X uses a year-old Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 processor and two additional chips from Texas Instruments to cover most of its features.

moto cost comparable asian-assembled smartphones ihs teardown reveals teardown ihs moto x

What’s more, the display on the Moto X certainly isn’t the best on the market and there isn’t an expandable memory option. Google and Motorola are well aware of these shortcomings but as IHS analyst Wayne Lam put it, they are not trying to play the game of bigger is better with everyone else.

Instead, the pair are banking on the idea that a made in America smartphone with the highest level of customization seen in a smartphone thus far will be enough to lure customers to the Moto X. AT&T and Motorola just recently launched Moto Maker, an online store that allows buyers to select the main and accent colors of the chassis, a custom wallpaper and the color of the phone charger.

Whether or not the gamble pays off likely won't be known for a few more months at the earliest.

Permalink to story.

Using older hardware shouldn't be a problem for most normal users. By the time the latest and greatest hardware is even released it's already obsolete and I don't feel the extra personalisation can make up for it's price. It certainly doesn't interest me, but that's just me.

Well I say deal with the premium. You cannot have it both ways... complain about jobs and things being made or built in US then get upset that it cost more.

Anyways, I think although they are not wowing us with state of the art hardware, they differentiate with unique features and customizations. Moreover, the price they are asking does not seem too exuberant. In mobile devices, honestly I can careless about having the latest hardware. What matters is that it performs well, feels snappy, and the features work. The only part of that concerns hardware is that it stays "performant" after a few years of OS upgrades.

For people who don't hardly use their cellphones for anything but are interested in more technology like an android, this phone might be alright for them. Other than that I'm not overly impressed with this cellphone. I can assure you I won't purchase it. And besides I believe it will be on the Verizon network not AT&T (which is my provider.)

Honestly, I can say I'm not getting it either for my phone.

However, If no Nexus 5 hits anytime soon (next 6 months), I might get one for a developer phone. But my regular use phone is iPhone, at least until Apple manages to make my normal use cases with the phone is awkward.

Back