Motobot is the autonomous motorcycle-riding robot of your dreams

Shawn Knight

Staff member

The Tokyo Motor Show is in full swing and as usual, it has produced some pretty innovative and forward-looking autos. As you might expect, self-driving cars are a topic but it’s Yamaha that is standing out among the crowd with its autonomous motorcycle-driving robot known as Motobot.

Just as humans do, Motobot is taking it slow and steady early on. The bike is outfitted with training wheels as I’m sure it’d be quite expensive having to replace buster parts should the robot crash.

Yamaha said it wants to reach a point in which Motobot is able to ride an unmodified motorcycle and reach speeds in excess of 120 miles per hour. Ultimately, the company wants to take what it learns from the project to build advanced rider safety and rider-support systems.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

I suppose that this has applications for better testing of safety gear, both for the rider and the bike. It would be interesting, with self-driving cars in development, to know if self-driving motorcycles (while still being able to transport a passenger) are being developed for that same purpose. Personally, I would find a motorcycle that you "ride" but do not actually "drive" about as fun as riding in a car where you are the "driver" but you do not actually "drive"... All the same, kudos to Yamaha for this cool innovation. Robots building motorcycles for other robots to drive! :p

I'm totally geeked out. That was as cool as Sh$$$! Can't wait to see where Motobot is 5 years from now. Probably with it's iron boot on our throats...

Back