Motorola Droid Turbo gets official with whopping 48-hour battery life

By Shawn Knight
Oct 28, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. If you're a road warrior with a penchant for great battery life but don't want to sacrifice performance to get it, Motorola's new Droid Turbo could be the smartphone you've been dreaming of.

Read more
  2. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,114   +1,377

I've been looking at many high-res images of this phone's screen, quality of which doesn't impress at all.

In the meantime, for phones like Note 4 or G3 Cat-6 the screen is the eye-candy.
  3. Rippleman

Rippleman TS Maniac Posts: 528   +142

Imagine the life if it did't have excessively overkill screen and specs...
    captainawesome likes this.
  4. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

I gotta say that is a great deal for $200. 8 hours of battery life in just 15 minutes of charging?! That is insane!
  5. Rippleman

Rippleman TS Maniac Posts: 528   +142

never judge a phone on its contract price. The rest of the price is spread out for 2 years. Consider the $200 a down payment.

IAMTHESTIG TS Evangelist Posts: 906   +244

That's nice... Where is the Droid 5 with QWERTY keyboard? I miss having a physical keyboard. Swipe and touch boards are a PITA.
  7. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Yeah but considering it is going against other phones at $200 on contract with worse specs that is bargain for what you get.
  8. RzmmDX

RzmmDX TS Addict Posts: 294   +58

That is the only phone that I am willing to upgrade to.
  9. p51d007

p51d007 TS Evangelist Posts: 862   +353

If you live state side, and don't mind a massive 6.1" screen, you can easily get 2-3 days on one charge of a Huawei Ascend Mate2, for only 300 bucks. You'll "sacrifice" quad screen snapdragon 80x processor, KK, android L, but big whoop. In normal operations, opening apps, running apps, screen clarity/brightness, I'll stack my 300 buck device up against any of these so called flagships.
  10. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,588   +278

Very vague. 3900mAh battery is approaching what is found in small tablets so probably an improvement, but even when stating that it can do 48 hours on one charge with 'normal' use its still very vague. Probably the best battery available in a 2560x1440 screen phone but think the res is still a battery eater. See no real reason for going above 1920x1080 at present. Especially given that the majority are all signed up to 2 year contracts with an upgrade after 2 years. I think by that time media streaming and mobile data speeds might actually be at the point for 2560x1440 to be worthwhile.
  11. Nobina

Nobina TS Evangelist Posts: 807   +270

It's ugly as ****. Res is too high. If they want more battery life they could just leave it at 1080p.
  12. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,341   +1,939

Whats so great about 48 hours of battery life? My Nokia 5110's and 3310's battery lasted for at least 5 days back in the late 90's early 2000's. It's now almost 20 years later and while mobile tech has advanced in leaps and bounds battery tech hasn't budged an inch yet nobody can come up with a plausible excuse why it hasn't.
  13. Physics. There's a limit to the amount of charge a cell could hold.
  14. lipe123

lipe123 TS Evangelist Posts: 633   +163

Those phones could only make calls and send text messages and had the same screen your wristwatch has.
    Also funny you mention there has been no change in battery tech cause last I checked no one uses NiCd batteries anymore.

It's simple really, do you want a phone with a 1cm thick battery on the back that weighs about double the current weight? Then you can have a few days of battery life.

For some stupid reason every phone has to be 0.0000000000000000001mm thick now and weigh no more than 7 swallow feathers. Until some company has the balls to release a nice thick and heavy phone with long battery life nothing will change.
  15. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,341   +1,939

As I said the tech has moved on in leaps and bounds but battery tech is suffering from rigor mortis, apart from the switch from NiCd and NiMH to Li-ion or LiPo, which only alleviated the memory build up problem associated with NiCd nothing has happened.
    I couldn't agree with you more about the thickness of devices, they don't need to be paper thin, that's just the manufacturers beating their chests showing off. I feel that if I blow $500+ on a phone then I want to see & feel something my dosh has bought, some people think uber thin is uber cool but I don't see it that way.