Motorola Moto G Review: Budget Android smartphone done right

Scorpus

Staff member
Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/review/775-motorola-moto-g/]https://www.techspot.com/review/775-motorola-moto-g/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

I got one for my niece who has a failing htc one V before and she loves it.

Don't go for the 8gb on though or you are in for a load of frustration.

The built in flash memory though limited as a great advantage that the way 4.3./4 works is the user partition is virtual and changes when you install more apps so out of space errors are less of a thing.

Bexwhitt... I couldn't understand your final paragraph as much as I tried...

An uncle bought this phone after I recommended it to him, he has loved it ever since. The screen might not be IPS but it looks amazing comparing it to my LG G2. The performance is great too, no stuttering and he has had no issues with whatever he has thrown at it. The camera besides being of low mp takes great pictures in the open at daytime, haven't seen any of those on low light.

Totally recomended for those on a budget, is THE best sub $200 android phone you may choose by far. Also, do pick the 16gb version, as mentioned before if you get the 8gb one you will be in for some headaches.

I wonder if Lenovo will use Motorola to help get into the premium phone business or the budget phone business.

I wonder if Lenovo will use Motorola to help get into the premium phone business or the budget phone business.

They already do both over in China, it's more an easy pathway to the United States market. I'd imagine Motorola under Lenovo will make devices that fill the smartphone price spectrum

I have a Galaxy Note 3 for my regular use, but bought the Motorola G for my young son. He loves it and I'm happy to provide him with a smartphone that's easy for a novice to pick up on rather quickly.

Bexwhitt... I couldn't understand your final paragraph as much as I tried...

A
Android has improved in the fact that if the flash memory is internal the system partition where apps install can use all the flash memory instead of a measly 1Gb on the old android phone, the sd card is a virtual partition that is the size of the unused space, install more apps and the sd card is smaller

How Android should be done and hopefully other OEMs will take notice.

Thanks for an excellent review! It made me buy the dual sim version of the Moto G as a backup phone ;)

How Android should be done and hopefully other OEMs will take notice.
But is it sustainable? From what I gather that's not the case. Motorola can produce cheaper than most but they're selling at a loss. Nokia isn't very profitable either but they try to make it profitable, they're not underselling. With these devices Google obviously is trying to keep WP out of the game but they're also killing the margins for their own OEMs. Google sold Motorola so it's a non-issue now but otherwise this could have killed the low-end market.

Had sometime playing with it and I can say it's a pretty solid phone with very good performance. Even though I'm a huge Windows Phone/Nokia fan, I admit that this phone and Moto X are very good Android phones. Better than anything Samsung will ever produce -- in my opinion.

Samsung brings nothing new to the table. There was not one single piece of software they made I found useful when I had an S4. Since it is all caked into the OS you can't uninstall it either. I moved to a Nexus 5 and couldn't be happier. For those with a smaller budget the Moto G is a similar fast stock experience. I got my wife the Moto G and must say the build quality feels much sturdier than the S4. As said the Moto G is an example of a budget phone done right.

Its smashing records in India.
16gb version was out of stock in just 7 min.(I was on of the lucky ones)

8gb was in an hour.
they wasn't anticipating this king of sales/reaction.

16gb is still out of stock(coming soon)

I am not too hot on rubberized plastic backs. Casio had an excellent PDA -SF-R20 with similar rubberized casing. The problem was it would simply melt in Indian weather. As such I have yet to come across any item with rubberized surface that can withstand vagaries of weather.

I have a Samsung one which is not rubberized or shiny but is very "slip-resistant" and most certainly does not look cheap !

Back