Motorola Moto G5 and G5 Plus Review

Julio Franco

Staff member
My mrs moved from an iPhone 5 to the Motorola G5, and has no complaints whatsoever. Phones are becoming a very tight bunch in terms of utility - you can pay up to 500% more for very little extra.

I really like Motorola phones, my last 4 phones have been Motorola and they've worked amazingly without investing too much money. I'm looking forward the next Moto Z iteration.

Say 'NO!' to camera bumps. Why can't they make the phone thicker to incorporate a bigger battery then have a ugly bump sticking out of the back?

I don't really see the beauty of the phone to be the real problem here, after all, most people use covers to protect their phones. The only problem I see with this bump is that it becomes more susceptible to scratches and breaks.

Since the phone became available I've got really interested in buying it, but it is still a bit expensive for me. Right now I have a Moto E2 bought in the same week of it's release (my previous phone was an iPhone 3G that was a gift I received a long time ago, and I needed a new one because of you know... Apple intentionally sucks regarding backward compatibility).

Moto E2 has a really beautiful design. The battery is not removable, which is good in my opinion, it is small, a little thick and round, which is also good in my opinion because it delivers a better grip (hands are not flat. I don't get why manufacturers keep making slender flat back phones). This made it possible for the camera to be in a lower level than the rest of the back surface, which means it will only scratch or break if you are very unlucky.

Moto G5 (Plus included) is ugly? Yes, sure. No need for metal back also (metal is slippery and makes it easier for the phone falling from your hand). But I think the only thing they could really have made better would be the camera spot, making it a little bit deeper than the rest of the back.

Mine is simple, smart and only set me back $100 four years ago and it keeps on going strong ......

Hey, did I miss something in this long-winded review? What are the screen resolutions of the two Moto G5 phones? How could you leave out this sort of info?

I use the G4 Plus, decent camera, twin sim (Work & Private sims) and a nice big screen...I love it. I will skip the G5 plus and wait for the next model (G6 Plus ?) a better camera will be the deal breaker..

Nearly any case will fix the Camera bump and everyone should really be using a case.

A case is a fickle solution at best at hiding the ugliness of a camera bump, which now sits flush with the case. Meaning that the case is not protecting the camera bump.

The body to display ratio is quite poor I compared it with few other models the dimensions of the g5 plus is bigger than other phones with the same 5.2 display.

Back