Motorola promises next smartphone will be 'priced for all'

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Motorola took smartphone customization to new levels with last year’s Moto X. Despite the handset’s modest internal hardware, Motorola was able to keep it in the news even as the competition launched newer phones through a combination of releasing new building materials like bamboo back panels and one-time price cuts.

It’s that latter strategy – a lower price point – that the Lenovo-owned company is hoping will attract buyers to its next smartphone.

motorola smartphone

Motorola on Wednesday sent out press invites to a launch event in London on May 13. The invite shows a crowded city street with a line about how connecting more people to the world’s information and each other will allow them to do great things.

The invite also claims the device in question will be made to last and will be priced for all. That latter bit suggests we likely won’t see a high-end handset take the stage in London but rather a modestly-priced piece of equipment. Could this be the Moto E that has been the topic of rumors as of late?

Early chatter suggests that device will feature a 4.3-inch display, a dual-core 1.2GHz processor, 1GB of system memory, 4GB of flash storage and a 5-megapixel rear camera. It’ll draw power from a 1,900mAh battery and ship with Android 4.4 Kit Kat. Fortunately there’s also said to be a microSD card slot on board to add to the paltry 4GB of onboard storage.

Permalink to story.

Is Motorola really a Lenovo company yet? Their website still displays "Motorola, a Google company". I thought they still had to pass some regulatory hurtles before Lenovo truly owns Motorola....

I'm just a bit skeptical that this phone wasn't something Google originally planned and not really something Lenovo is going to pursue in the future. The micro sd card slot is a surprise though... wish the Motorola G had one!

$200 max for that or I would never buy it.
The Moto G is already below $200 off-contract, genius. This is obviously going to be even cheaper than the Moto G.

I would be interested in something like this if the price were right but I already have a S4 mini with nearly identical specs, I'll be sure to check this thing out.

Hmmm...it honestly doesn't really intrigue me. It might be less costly but how well will it perform?

Back