Mounting FAT32 partition created in Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spike

My first real question then, and fairly important (so I can at least set up an internet connection, befor I even think about networking (eciadsl usermode modem driver. Always fun)

Files I need to set this USB modem up are on a 7GB FAT32 partition I created in windows before installing Fedora Core 4.

I would very much like to mount this drive (obviously!) but even in the "create new" dialogue in KDE, the device (apparently named hda5) isn't in the list of mountable devices. Neither is my NTFS WinXP partition.

Mounting it under ManDrake was easy when I last used linux ("mount /{devicename} or something like that). Doesn't seem to work here though. Any help is appreciated.

Strike that. I worked out what I was doing wrong... I wasn't specifying the folder to mount it in!

Don't forget thet Fedora doesn't come with any software that has copyright "issues", so NTFS partitions cannot be read out of the box. Either recompile the kernel with at least NTFS read support or install the NTFS rpm for your specific kernel/cpu.

Thanks for the tip Didou :)

As it happens, I even managed to set up the driver for the USB modem and connect to the internet (the login details and dns servers are in the driver config), but after looking at the connection settings for my ethernet card for some reason even though I could connect to the internet but couln't reaolve techspot or google.

I've installed too many packages atm anyway (all of them!) so I guess it's a reinstall of fedora and a reinstal of the modem.

I have a feeling this networking with XP bit is going to be less than fun. lol

OK - I've come to the conclusion that networking linux with an XP box, sharing an internet connection from it using a BT Voyager USB ADSL modem with the ECIADSL usermode driver isn't an easy task if in fact it's possible at all for anybody new to linux.

If anybody knows any differently please let me know, else I'll just have to wait untill I can get hold of a router.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back