Mouse and Keyboard problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdrianCee

I turn on my computer and it's very slow to boot up. My problem is everything loads up on my XP but my mouse and keyboard do not work at all, I can't move my mouse and I can't type anything from my keyboard...I recetnly spilled water on my keyboard and hour or so after that the mouse nor the keyboard didn|t work, and I get no errors..I bought a new keyboard and it still doesn't work, but I figured what would the keyboard have to do with the mouse not working. Like I said, everything works fine but it's like the mouse and keyboard aren't plugged in as I type or click..Do the upperfilters have to do anything with this? I was having problems with my DVD/CD drive and got a code 39 and was told to look it up on Microsoft and was told to delete them, and I deleted like five rows that were the same number..Please help I haven't had a computer for a few days and it sucks...

Thank You

"but I figured what would the keyboard have to do with the mouse not working."
The mouse and keyboard connect to a single dual channel controller chip. If it is badly damaged both stop working.

Try a USB Male to Dual PS/2 Female Converter Adapter Cable.

Keyboard and mouse problems.

Thank You for responding to my reply...

"Try a USB Male to Dual PS/2 Female Converter Adapter Cable."

Would it be a waste of time to buy a new mouse and with the new keyboard i recently bought, and then plug them both in? I recall when I first bought the mouse it came with the option of a USB plug and the PS2 adapter, I plugged it in through the PS2 plug..After a few months my mouse stopped working then I plugged it in to a USB port and then it worked fine, until now..So, now I had the keyboard PS2 and the mouse USB...You said to buy a USB Male to Dual PS/2 Female Converter Adapter Cable, I'll try both, I hope it works, it really sucks...

Thank You so much!!

I assumed you were using both PS/2 mouse and keyboard.
" connect to a single dual channel controller chip"
This chip only controls the PS/2 mouse and keyboard ports.
If the mouse that stopped working was plugged into the USB port you have a different (or more serious) problem..
USB ports are controlled by different chips. Both the PS/2 port and USB ports are both supplied 5 volt power.
The 5 volt power bus my have been damaged when the water was spilled on the keyboard..
You will need to test the USB ports on the motherboard to see if they still work (getting 5 volt power).
If you have other USB devices that you can test the USB ports and indicate power to the port. An optical mouse works well, the red LED should light up.

But if the system was already having problems;
"After a few months my mouse stopped working then I plugged it in to a USB port and then it worked fine"
you might want to have it tested professionally.

All of my USB ports work fine, I tested them all and even my 4 port USB hub works (all4) Is there a way I can reinstall my computer without the keyboard or mouse working?

Also, I have an old computer with windows 98, could I pull my hard drive out of my newer computer and transfer the hard drive to my older compuer just to save all my files that I need to save on cd, then put the hard drive back to my newer computer? Would Reinstalling my computer even fic my problem...

Once again, thank you for responding to my post, I'd be lost without your help..

If your USB ports are working you should be able to get the USB mouse working without a reinstall. But to answer you question;

Yes you can remove the hard drive, set its jumpers to slave, and install it on a another computer to backup the files you need.
If the system your backing up uses Windows XP or 2000 and the NTFS file system you will need a program to allow Windows 98 to read the NTFS.
Windows 98 does not read the NTFS natively

NTFS for Windows 98
http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/NtfsWindows98.html

But first I would attempt to install your new keyboard using your PS/2 to USB adapter from your mouse.
Boot into Windows with the keyboard connected to a USB port and see if Windows detects it and installs a driver.
If it works delete the driver for the not working USB mouse and shut down. If still listed delete the no longer connected PS/2 keyboard also.
Connect the mouse back to the adapter and USB port and boot into Windows.
If Windows detect the USB mouse, installs a driver, and it works you can purchase another PS/2 adapter or a USB Male to Dual PS/2 Female Converter Adapter Cable. This adapter allows both PS/2 keyboard and mouse to be connected to a single USB port.

I have few queries here.
1. What is the blue screen error showing"beginning dump of physical memory". "Dump of physical memory complete"
2. What do those 000000Xwhatever mean
3. STOP:0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xEB1DD8D4, 0xF7A6EBE8, 0xF7A6E84)
HTTP.sys-Address EB1DD8D4 base at EB1CC000, Datestamp 41672744

What could this mean??

Thank You, Triton, I did as you said and still no luck. I bought the PS/2 to USB converter and plugged it into the keyboard and it didn't work. I turned off the computer connected a PS2 mouse to the USB converter and it didn't work, but a balloon at the bottom of the taskbar said "New hardware device detected" and that's all that it said, and I still wasn't able to type nor click. Also at the bottom of the taskbar (next to the time stamp,) was a USB icon when I had the keyboard or the mouse plugged into the USB converter..Any other ideas?

Also, I was wondering, when I took my old computer apart, I looked at the Mouse and keyboard port where you plug them into, I was wondering do you think it would work if I were to take it off and switch it to my newer computer, does it just slide off. or maybe buy a new one? I noticed my newer computer had clamps holding the port in and my old PC there was nothing holding it in. So does it just come off pulling it off?

Thank You for all your help, I'd be lost without your help, I'm very greatful...

"I was wondering do you think it would work if I were to take it off and switch it to my newer computer"
Probably not possible. Most modern computer motherboards are based on the ATX design. The plugs and the components that control them are mounted on the motherboard. Even if you have an older design only the plug is replaceable. The electronic parts are still on the motherboard..

"New hardware device detected"
Your system is detecting the devices but not properly installing drivers. This could be caused by hardware conflicts.

I would recommend forcing a ESCD (Extended System Configuration Data) update from the motherboard BIOS.
Without a working keyboard this can't be done manually.

You will need to clear the BIOS CMOS memory. This is done with a jumper on the motherboard.
This should force a ESCD update.

keyboard & mouse problem

AdrianCee,

your porblem is not that big, why i said that? coz it happen to me also.

try to experiment also for yourself..... try to open the computer, check the connection to the mouse and keyboard, maybe the dust gives you the trouble, as you said you bought new keyboard and mouse already but still not working? right? so try my suggestion might be it will help to solved your problem.

peace bro.... :)) :stickout: :wave:

Thank you all for your help, I wasn't able to get my computer going and still having problems, so I'm just going to reinstall XP and start from scratch...But I would like to thank you, Triton, jonaz74 for taking the time and help me out, I'm very greatful...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back