Mouse and keyboard support is coming to the Xbox One

Scorpus

Staff member

Microsoft's head of Xbox, Phil Spencer, has confirmed through a short Twitter conversation that the Xbox One will soon get keyboard and mouse support, possibly for finer control while playing games.

Spencer confirmed keyboard and mouse support for the Xbox One after a Twitter user asked about game streaming from a PC to the Xbox, which would require keyboard and mouse support to function correctly. While Spencer said that there are currently no plans to introduce Windows 10 to Xbox One streaming, keyboard and mouse support "aren't far away".

The Xbox One already supports keyboards for basic text input, so the only feature Microsoft needs to integrate is mouse support. Considering the Xbox One runs a modified version of Windows, and the console will be updated to a variant of Windows 10 in the near future, it shouldn't be that hard to code in support for the versatile peripheral.

What isn't clear at this stage is how the Xbox One will support keyboards and mice. It's possible that Microsoft will just introduce support for these input devices to browse the interface and access Universal Apps, although there's a chance we'll see games support keyboards and mice as well.

Microsoft has already announced an Elite Wireless Controller for the Xbox One that has added functionality for pro-level gamers, so the next logical step would be to introduce keyboard and mouse support in games for PC-like precision. Many of the games on Xbox One are also available on PC, so again it wouldn't be hard to introduce support for new input devices on upcoming titles.

With only a little bit of information to go on at this stage, we'll just have to wait and see what Microsoft's plans for Xbox One mouse and keyboard support are. A Windows 10 on Xbox One beta is scheduled for "post-summer", so that's where we might see support first introduced.

Permalink to story.

This is great news. I'm a PC gamer who recently bought an XBOX One in May --- needless to say, I've had to tough time being decent at any FPS's with a controller. So I gladly welcome this update.

The game developers would have to allow for mouse use in the game, and often times theyll split the match making between M+KB and Controller players so that Mouse users wouldnt have a competitive edge using the much simpler and easier point and click method... also dont say "rekt" its lame

Spencer is vauge, and in the end they will likely introduce this support so that its easier, to chat, browse, nagivate, etc. It likelyw ill not come to games so that we can use mouse and keyoard with shooter games etc. Even if it does, there will be some sort of "Catch" that will turn most people away.
Keep dreaming,

Spencer is vauge, and in the end they will likely introduce this support so that its easier, to chat, browse, nagivate, etc. It likelyw ill not come to games so that we can use mouse and keyoard with shooter games etc. Even if it does, there will be some sort of "Catch" that will turn most people away.
Keep dreaming,

I dont understand why you say this as if it were a bad thing, mouse control is basically cheating and takes zero skill in shooters... nobody wants that handicap brought over to console gaming. This M+KB support is more about Universal App support

Heh remember a while back when microsoft started allowing pc gamers access to xbox live through windows to see how console gamers handles playing with pc gamers? the console kids got destroyed lol. however this was back in the 30 fps console days and I guess these new consoles can do 60 frames @ 1080p now so I've heard. maybe console gamers have a chance now but I say nah. kids who turn vsync off or have a 144hz monitor will still dominate console gamers

This needs to happen.

I do not enjoy playing FPS with a controller. I have played with K/M for many years and find it too difficult to transition. There are many games that I would love to play, but this is too difficult of a task to overcome and enjoy.

I imagine that players could join servers where controllers are offered or K/M to keep things on an even playing field. Most likely though that if they did not, then everyone would need to use a Keyboard and Mouse to even compete.

I can a FPS game just fine with a Controller, but given the option... I'll use the Mouse/Keyboard. I have GTA V on PC. Whenever there was a shootout, I was sitting there with the controller in one hand and the mouse in the other. It was a mess. I prefer playing with a Controller, but I just can't aim for **** when the heat is on.

It makes perfect sense for Microsoft to add Mouse/Keyboard support for browser and chat functions, but I suspect it would become a mess if they allowed it for games. Not that I care, really. I'm a PC gamer. That said, I can appreciate the simplicity of a console. You got your game, you got your pad... have at it!

CoD Ghosts on PC already had keyboard players and controller ones against each other. Thanks to the auto aim it was quite balanced.

I can't play Killzone at all especially 2 so I welcome the coming of the glorious M&K to the consoles.

So, does this ultimately mean all games on XBOX can be played with a mouse and keyboard?

CoD Ghosts on PC already had keyboard players and controller ones against each other. Thanks to the auto aim it was quite balanced.
Wow, thats rare.
Every time I've seen an article about PC gamers vs Console's with FPS games its been a murder scene.

If they let single player go keyboard and mouse then maybe and use it for windows to Xbox steaming games but multiplayer vs game pads? Never happen.

I find it laughable that people would assume native game kb:mouse support when the conversation is about streaming W10 games to xbone. Id expect interface and non-game app comparability. At least knowing past experience with MS.

Wow, thats rare.
Every time I've seen an article about PC gamers vs Console's with FPS games its been a murder scene.
Yea as said because they don't have such strong auto aim.

It could work well in Gears of War too since you don't need to aim much in that game compared to something like CS. Big Crosshair and spray and close range environment do the trick, not to forget the huge bulky persons.

I am selling my PC which gives me lots of issues lately and getting this! Gotta put a good use to my Razer and Logitech keyboard&mouse setup

The last console I've ever used was this one: http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~pinwhiz/sportn.htm So my knowledge of any advantage that the modern console controller has over the keyboard and mouse might seem a little out of step. In-game agility has been sacrificed for the sake of not needing a flat surface in front to support a controller. Is there something more to it than that?

The game developers would have to allow for mouse use in the game, and often times theyll split the match making between M+KB and Controller players so that Mouse users wouldnt have a competitive edge using the much simpler and easier point and click method... also dont say "rekt" its lame

there were few mods that you could buy for PS3 that allowed m+kb gameplay. It might have not been software controlled tho so acceleration might have been an issue.

Wow I have some serious mixed thoughts on this. Hopefully the mouse will only be usable in RTS, xbox menus and game menus.

Honestly if they are going to open consoles up full mouse support they're admitting that console or xbone is dead.

This is great news. I'm a PC gamer who recently bought an XBOX One, couldn't get use to the controllers,
so I got rid of it, if mouse and keyboard will work with Xbox one I will buy another one.

I doubt it will be to allow the alternate control method in games, but purely for when using the interface or browser etc. If they allowed it in games it would be like them holding their hands up and saying "yes we invested millions invented this fancy joypad but we now have to admit it sucks donkey balls and will be replaced with the superior control method that pc gamers have been enjoying for years". Yes I know joypads are good for some games but a the mouse/keyboard combo just cant be beaten in things like fps, strategy and rpgs.

Back