Mouse cursor freezing and locking up PC on XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

sifguy1980

I have a problem on windows XP where the mouse freezes once I log out of AOL 9.0. Sometimes just in general I leave the PC on and come back and the mouse is frozen. I have a wireless logitech mouse, I updated all its most recent drivers and still I have problems.

The computer is a 2.6 Pent 4 512 RAM

Any suggestions?

When you try to move the mouse again, does the red light come on, or does nothing happen? If the light comes on then the computer froze or batteries are dieing, if the light comes on, then you might not be getting a good signal. Check both of these situations and post back.

I might suspect your modem to have a problem.

Many WinModems will cause the mouse cursor to freeze when dialing or disconnecting, but it should only be very a very brief second.

Perhaps when this happens, it never recovers. Could be modem-driver related or who knows. ;)

Do you have another dial up account to test this theory with? Maybe try using a different version of AOL.

I have also a wireless Logitech mouse (MX700) which shows the same problems, mouse freezing up out of the blue, taking the keyboard with it. Only a reset will bring my PC back to life.
I have no modem installed (broadband: NIC-->router-->power over ethernet-->antenna on the roof-->wireless connection to provider).
I tried with all Logitech driver versions, the standard Win2000 driver, MS-Intellisoft 4.1 driver, all to no avail.
In the end I had to go back to my good old trusted cabled Logitech Mouseman+.

Let me know if you find a solution, please.

I did get a mouse battery signal, I will try to change the battery and install updated win modem drivers tonight I let you guys know how it goes, thanks for the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back