TechSpot

mouse does not work with 25' cable

By tonyem
Feb 27, 2002
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moved my tower to another room for recording. i have 25' cable extensions on monitor, keyboard, mouse.

everything else toslink, s/pdif, xlr, esa/ebu.

everything works fine except the mouse. tried switching with keyboard (both ps/2), no luck. my spare trackball does not work either.

does anybody have any scoop? is an active cable needed?

thank you for the help.
    tony m
  2. Vehementi

Vehementi TechSpot Paladin Posts: 3,199

Well, IEEE 1394 (FireWire) loses its signal after 4 1/2 meters of cable, and the same is probably true with PS/2, although not so much of a drastically short length.
  3. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,494   +292

I thought the same, but why would you be able to purchase a 25' cable if it wasn't going to work. And his keyboard is PS/2 as well and it works.
  4. Vehementi

Vehementi TechSpot Paladin Posts: 3,199

It could be that a mouse actually sends messages to the CPU, but the CPU actually scans the keyboard to see if any buttons are pressed. The difference in this may be the problem.
  5. cabrone

cabrone Newcomer, in training Posts: 166

dont know if this is an option but what about usb? any faster or longer reach? if so a usb mouse would be a solution if yer willing to pay for another mouse
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.