Mouse inoperative after standby mode

By prglor
Feb 5, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have a Toshiba Tecra 8100 operating on Windows XT. When I put it into standby mode, then bring it out of standby, the external mouse (Microsoft) is inoperative, but the little joystick mouse on the keyboard works. Is there a fix for this - other than not using standby mode?
  2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

Verify you've got the latest BIOS and USB Controller updates installed for your computer.
    If these drivers are already fully updated, it comes down to hardware conflict
    Try a different USB port, or try another type of mouse
    There is nothing else to do, (other than re-connecting the mouse each time) many users report this same issue, on many systems
  3. prglor

prglor Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Sorry-should have stated.....

That the mouse is a serial device. How does one go about doing a BIOS update?
  4. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

Actually most of these reports of mouse not responding is usually on USB

Serial mouse, is now very old, and not very plug and play friendly.
    Forget the bios (for the moment) ie it isn't faulty, don't touch it.

But, yes replace your mouse with a newer USB mouse. (ideally suited for Laptop)
  5. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,285   +281

try the hibernate option instead of standby; it saves power and performs a fast reboot
    into your desktop.

I'm w/USB mouse and found hibernate to run auto-discovery coming back running
  6. lamo

lamo Newcomer, in training Posts: 570

prglor, update BIOS, and ESPECIALLY update the EC/KBC firmware. the serial mouse works via KBC controller and there can be mistakes in firmware.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.