Mouse/ keyboard.. frequent lockups

Status
Not open for further replies.

fimbles

Hey..

Im having severe mouse/ keyboard lockups.

My pc is a 2.8 ghz cel
80 gig hd
radeon 256 mb 9600 pro graphics card.
1 gig ram
This has started in the last couple of months, gradually getting worse. the system lets out a short post beep followed by a 3 second mouse/ keybord freeze, sometimes this freeze is permanant and only a hard reset will work.
This can happen at any point and has no pattern that i can notice.

Things i have checked..

Cpu temp is average of 40 to 50 degrees c over a 10 min period
Hd shows no errors
Mem shows no errors
Also checked windows master cds for errors

This happens after a fresh restore also. (full shop bought restore).
Also happens in safe mode.

I get keybord failure in the post error list in bios.

Any ideas on this problem would be greatly received. the motherboard lets out a single internal beep before the freeze, but i cant for the life of me find the beep code list for my motherboard( its a = Columbia V (GA-8SIML-NF5) Ver 2.0)

Thank you in advance on this extremely annoying prob!!

ps: also switched keyboards ...

Is this a custom built computer? My neighbors had a problem almost exactly like what your describing, but theres was a Compaq. They brought it to Geek Squad and they said that the problem the whole system was freezing was the mouse.

I dont think ive laughed harder lol

For them it was a mobo problem...does your keyboards lights (num lock, caps, etc) go ballistics when it freezes?

Hi. thanks for the reply.

Nope its a shop bought pc.. a packard bell imedia.
Ive had it for around 2 years without a glitch.

When the computer freezes. i get no flashy light at all. just a single beep.
the keyboard fully locks up.. even the caps lock light dosent work..

yup.. i ran the built in memtest in bios ( in msdos.. ts.bat) after a full test it reported no errors... i was gutted.... also ran the official memtest prog about a month ago for 10 loops with no errors...

oh my word..... dear god..

After spending nearly a month trying to figure out the problem, phoning endless tech support, whitteling it down to a possible motherboard problem, booking a engineer to come tommorow to replace the offending part..

I read your post.. prefer to laugh heartily again... it WAS the bloody mouse...

Swapped it over today.. (the only componant i havnt swapped so far) and as a result my freezes, system beeps, have completely gone..

I cant frigging beleive it.. sheesh..

Edit: to add insult to injury after inspecting offending mouse i found a dog hair jammed in the laser bit.. removed it with tweezers.. works fine now..

I wouldent beleive it unless it happened to me..

Ps: thank you whtddusy516!

Youre kind responce made me look in the last place i would have thought!!

Long live techspot!!

lol no problem, lucky for you that was the only problem, so far my neighbros have gone through a new $100 HD, and a mobo and a new processor (for some reason they replaced the processor to ???) geek squad is wierd..they say some of the stupidest things

and yes, techspot is pretty amazing lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back