Mouse not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mouse stopped working. I tried changing to another mouse but have the same problem. I've tried every USB port but that makes no difference. Occationally I can get it to work for a few seconds, but notlong enough for me to do anything. Could it be I need more memory? Before this started, it was an occasional thing. I started deleting unused games and other unused files. Now I can't get anything out of it. I did get it up in safe mode and ran a virus scan but it came back ok. Any suggestions?

Ok, its kind of tricky to do without a mouse, but I just went and did it, so its possible.

You need to get into the device manager and remove your mouse (uninstall driver). Also it wouldn't hurt to do the same for your USB.

To do it. Windows Key then arrow over to control panel and hit enter. Then arrow down to system, hit enter. Hit tab until you see a dotted box around General, then hit right arrow til you get to hardware, then hit tab to get that box around Device Manager and hit enter. Hit tab then arrow down to your mouse and hit the + key. Arrow down so you have the mouse highlighted hit enter. Tab until the box is around General again, then right arrow to Driver, then tab until Uninstall. Hit enter, hit enter again.

Do same for your USB hubs.

i have a simular problem but not quite as severe. my mouse randomly stops working then sometimes will work a few seconds later or else i have to reconnect it and it will work.

ive tried uninstalling the mouse but im afraid to uninstall the usb hubs!!
will they come back as soon as something is connected to the them or when i restart? or do i have to manually reinstall them?

They will come back after you remove them, if they do not they will on restart. The only thing that might not come back on its own is USB 2.0 support, so you'd have to get the driver for 2.0 support back installed. But even if that happens they will still function as 1.1.

just uninstalled them now and it seems to have worked.
how can i tell if my usb is functioning at 1.1 or 2.0

A simple way to check is if you have a USB Thumbdrive (flash) just plug that in, if windows pops up a message saying this device can perform faster that tells you its 1.1. If it doesn't say anything its 2.0. I'm sure some software can tell you too, but I haven't looked into that before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back