Mouse Pointer Freezes but Mouse Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

paradoxos

My mouse pointer has been freezing but my mouse works, I just have to watch to see where is based on mouseovers. How can I fix this?

Try re-installing the mouse drivers. If that doesn't cure it check for updated graphics card drivers.

Have you tried unplugging it from the back and plugging it back in? You might have to reboot to get it to work properly again.

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

So actually the problem occurs in only one game?

This is most certainly a graphics issue. Try playing around with the game's graphics settings, update your video drivers, try reducing the video acceleration levels, update DirectX..

I'm having the same problem

I am having the same problem. My mouse pointer freezes in place, but I can still activate things by guessing (and using highlighting, etc.) to determine where my cursor is located. It started just a few days ago...the mouse had worked fine before. I can't pinpoint what I'm doing when it happens, but it seems to occur if I'm trying to multitaks while doing something kind of intensive (defragmenting, burning CDs/DVDs). It's a real pain in the rear.

I have Win XP SP1 (was SP2, but uninstalled that, trying to see if it would fix the driver), nVidia GeForce 5200 AGP graphics card. Updated the drivers for the video card yesterday, that didn't fix it. I can't find mouse drivers that are better than what I have, though my mouse drivers are dated 2001. I did install "browser mouse 1.0" for my Micro Innovations optical mouse yesterday, that didn't work.

I thought maybe I accidently cleaned something from the registry that might have caused it, so reinstalled everything that I had cleaned from the registry. That didn't work.

I can't figure it out. The only things I haven't tried is unplugging/replugging the mouse and uninstalling the mouse from my system and rebooting. I think I'll try those now.

Otherwise, any tips?

Hmmm...tried a few things

I installed the newest DirectX...didn't work.

I unplugged the mouse...didn't work.

I uninstalled the mouse...didn't work.

Should I reinstall Windows?

One more piece of information: I have 3 hard drives. My C: drive seems fine. My E: drive seems fine, but my D: drive appears to be failing. It may not be the only time, but the mouse thing happens when I'm defragmenting D: and try to do something else.

This is still a problem. I also have seen it happen when I installed DirectX 9.0 (or whatever is the latest one.)

One thing I did do (which helps when it happens so I can reboot) is turn on the option to press CTRL and it will create an animation to show you where your mouse is....

hope we find a solution

Hello there

i have this problem and googled upon this site

first things first turn on mouse trails and you can see your mouse pointer trails which is much easier for seeing your mouse

now you can see what your doing lets get on to fixing this soloution

Microsoft Windows 2000 and Microsoft Windows XP
1. Right-click the desktop, and then click Properties.
2. On the Settings tab, click Advanced.
3. On the Troubleshooting tab, move the Hardware Acceleration slider two notches to the left of Full.

The details for this setting explain all pointer and advanced drawing accelerations are disabled.
4. Click Apply, and then click OK.
5. Close the Display Properties window, and then test the game.

that is taken from the microsoft site and i've done it and haven't had the problem since, but damn it i want hardware acceleration!

well the problem seems to like to certin nVidia drivers

going back to nVidia 66.93 drivers fixes this problem for most

nVIidia need to fix this but they haven't done it yet

here is a link to the file from a lovely site
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=904

good luck i'll check back in a while to see how it's worked out

Greetings everyone, first post here. Like what I read so I joined the forum.

I've been having this problem for some time and I tryed using the new 91.52 driver. For about a week I had no problems untill today and the mouse started freezing again. Downloading 66.93 now. Thankyou for the tip John.

Thank you so much!!

This problem has been driving me insane. Thank you sooo much for the fix--and for the mention of the nvidia driver reference. How many times I have rebooted my computer to get my mouse back, and forgot that I had a file transfer going. It was enough to make me start to cringe when I was using the mouse and I had something else going on in the background.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back