TechSpot

Mouse sleeps after one minute

By tepeco
Jul 3, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. My mouse goes to sleep consistently at the one minute mark after sitting idle. It is revived with a simple click of the button. This has been this way for 3 months but is becoming a pain and I want to solve it.

I have Windows vista, home premium on a PC using an older MS wireless keyboard and mouse. version 1.0A. I checked to update drivers and put in fresh batteries. All MS updates have been made and the computer is up to date.

The mouse/keyboard transmitter is about 4 ft from the PC and in trying to solve this problem, it has been moved to several positions. The usb connection has been tried in 3 different slots on the back of the PC.

I have checked all the settings for the mouse in the control panel but see no reference to make the mouse go into a sleep state (or out of it). Suggestions?

2. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 3,435   +145

Read your instruction booklet?
    I would assume this is normal though.

3. tepeco

tepeco TS Member Topic Starter Posts: 65

Instruction book? For a MS mouse? You mean that little folded sheet that comes with the mouse? I've perused Microsoft's knowledge base for an answer and searched this forum for answers. I can't find this anywhere and I guess there is no trouble shooter for this problem. Apparently, it's a unique problem on only my PC since nobody seems to be coming up with answers of any kind.

4. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 3,435   +145

I thought everyone's mouse sleeps.

5. LookinAround

LookinAround Ex Tech Spotter Posts: 6,491   +183

That was my thought too :)

You can also see if it's the result of USB power management options. Open Device Manager, for EVERY USB Root Hub: right click Properties, click Pwr Mgt tab, uncheck the box that allows windows to turn off the device to save power

6. nismo91

nismo91 TS Evangelist Posts: 899   +15

this happens with the mouse in my MS Wireless Desktop 700v2. it does not happen with my older Wireless Desktop Optical 4000. I guess that's why the latter cost twice.

7. Lokalaskurar

Lokalaskurar TS Enthusiast Posts: 544

Mice tend to go to sleep after 1 minute, it's more or less standard practice - albeit very annoying. Some mice does not however, like Dell's OEM models.

Generally, LookinAround's suggestion would yield the best results, if any.

---------------------

If you really (and I mean really, really) get tired of the mouse going to sleep like this; some mice has firmware which forces the mouse into power saving mode. Mitsumi's models for instance. These mice can be 'flashed'... I'm just saying ;)