Mouse stutter in CoD:UO with new 8800 Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.

BabyFaceLee

Hi guys, hope you can help!

I've recently installed a new graphics card - BFG nVidia GeForce 8800 Ultra (768mb). This single card replaces my previous SLI setup of two 7800GTX 256mb cards.

When I'm in the Multiplayer screen for Call of Duty or Call of Duty: United Offensive (where you change options and select a server to join a game) and also in-game, the mouse moves in a slightly jerky motion around the screen rather than moving smoothly. It seems to do this stutter every 2 or 3 seconds.

CoD2 is fine as is ArmA.

System spec:
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 FX-60 Dual Core
M/Board: ABIT AN8 32X
RAM: 2 x 1GB Corsair PC3500LLPro
Sound: Creative Soundblaster Audigy 4
H/Disks: 2 x 250GB Samsung Spinpoint SP2504C
PSU: Tagan EasyCon TG580-U15 - 580watts

I'm using the latest official nVidia drivers:
158.22 released 17 May 2007 and I've also tried 162.18 (beta) released 5 July 2007

I've tweaked with (reduced) various graphics settings and, via Task Manager, I've changed the Affinity to one CPU and I've increased the Priority - all to no affect.

However, on looking at the CPU usage when CoD:UO is running (in the background) the percentage is constantly changing back and forth from around 29-31% to around 50% and back again. This seems a bit odd to me as the game is just idling at the options screen. This pattern continues whether there is 1 or 2 CPUs being used.

I'm at a loss as to what could be the issue so any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

You might have a trojan or some spyware that is doing this. It is fairly common to have one or two of these. Do a full system scan with Ad-Aware and Spyware Doctor (download them from http://www.download.com) and then see if that resolves your problem. If it doesn't help, then go to this thread and follow the instructions precisely. Hopefully, Howard will be able to help you ASAP. Good luck and let us know how it goes. :)

Thanks for the response Moiz.

Well I've done pretty much everything prescribed and I'm afraid it's not any better. I would have thought that if there was some form of malware on my system that other games/apps would be affected but they seem to be fine.

I've done a full system virus scan, spydoctor scan, adaware, rootkit scan, registry cleanup etc, etc....

I've also completely uninstalled CoD and CoDUO, defragged and then reinstalled them both.

I'm really stumped on this. :(

In that case, it can only be a driver problem. You'll have to wait for better drivers to release or try any beta drivers you can find on the net.

My computer specs are almost identical to yours, I tried an 8800 GTS with driver 162.18 in my system and while running CODUO I got the same problem, it is like a half a second pause every two to three seconds. I decided to purchace a 7950 GT, installed driver 94.24 and ran CODUO, the game ran perfect. It is defenetly a (Driver Problem). I have not yet found a fix, I did contact XFX about this they said that driver 94.24 should work with my 8800 GTS. I will let you know.

tyler6169 said:
My computer specs are almost identical to yours, I tried an 8800 GTS with driver 162.18 in my system and while running CODUO I got the same problem, it is like a half a second pause every two to three seconds. I decided to purchace a 7950 GT, installed driver 94.24 and ran CODUO, the game ran perfect. It is defenetly a (Driver Problem). I have not yet found a fix, I did contact XFX about this they said that driver 94.24 should work with my 8800 GTS. I will let you know.
Thanks for posting your findings too Tyler. Because Call of Duty is my main game I ended up removing the 8800 Ultra and selling it!! Drastic I know but it was driving me mad. I'm back to my 7800GTX SLI config now but I'd still be interested to know if this issue is resolved for you some time in the future via a driver update as I might then consider trying one again. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back