mouse trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrdlu

I run windows 98 thru a compaq presario desktop. I just signed up for a new cable modem sp and lately have been encountering a problem. My computer issues a quiet "beep" and the cursor freezes up, sometimes for just a second, sometimes it leads to a complete freeze up where I have to shut down and reboot. Any ideas? Thanks! Shrdlu

When you" signed up a new cable modem sp" are you saying that your trouble started after you loaded drivers for the modem or other software you loaded ?
You may have a conflict with Com ports between the mouse and modem.
The properties for your hardware should tell which ports are being used.
Try disabling or delete the modem to test if this is what is causing trouble
Check product web sites for conflicts that may have fixes for your issue.
You might get more assistance if you stated .Brand of modem,ISP
Mouse manufacturer..... etc

response to Liquidlen

The modem is a "Castlenet" model CVC150. The ISP is URON Internet (I'm located in Chicago). The mouse is a Microsoft Intellimouse, 1.2A PS/2 compatible. Sorry for not thinking to include that before. I'll check out your suggestions right now, and if any of the above helps further pin it down, let me know if you have time. Thanks for the advice, Mr. Liquid. Shrdlu

I am going to be away until Jan 4th so I won't be much more help but this is a great Forum someone will jump in if you continue to have problems ,Keep posting.However my first reply should get you going it is common in 98 with it's VXD type system to get hardware conflicts .It makes sense since your trouble started while loading the modem.
If you are running the software for that mouse . you can try deleting it and use baisic drvers from Windows sometimes the plain stuff is better in 98.
Have a happy holiday!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back