Moving 1 HDD to another computer to have dual HDDs, keeping the files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CJ-real

Hi,

I have a hard drive on a new computer with vista on it, and want to move it to another computer which has XP and all my files on it. Can I make the one with vista my main HDD, and then use the other HDD for all my files?

Will the HDD still have vista on it if I put it in the other computer, and the same with the other hard drive?

They are SATA, and the XP computer with all my files has 3 more spaces.

Is this possible?

Thanks,
CJ

Yes, But...

The problem when installing a hard drive with Windows on it to another computer, is that all the drivers will need to be installed (ie another computer -different Sound; Video; CPU...)

Now that last one above, CPU that's really the critical one.
If both computers have exactly the same Processor slot on the motherboard then go right ahead.

BUT if you are plugging in the Windows harddrive to another computer with a different CPU chipset, that means you may get one of two possibilities:
1. Won't Boot
2. Won't Boot, and destroys file system (and possible data)

Hmm, that 2nd one doesn't sound good!

What you will need to do is a Windows Repair, before the computer starts up. This will allow Windows to work properly on the other computer.

Obviously the Windows CD and COA product key required. (Activation imminent too)

Also make sure to BackUp First

The slave doesn't matter

You can make any drive the Slave, even if it has Windows, or is fully formatted
It won't matter

You can safely plug any drive in as Slave, but make sure the computer doesn't try to start it, as the main drive (go to CMOS) to confirm boot order

which files to del from slave?

in this situation, once everything is working, he evantually would want to delete any files that might initaite a boot from the slave - because if the master failed one day, the computer would begin going dow nthe chain of boot devices looking for something to boot from - and would find those files on the slave.

would he simply need to delete one file off the slave, such as config.sys? or more files? (i am asking out of general curiousity).

That's true, it is possible that the slave could boot, if (in this case) the Vista boot became corrupted.

You could remove (or rename) one file on the Xp Slave.
Search the Slave (in Vista Windows - searching the slave Xp drive) for boot.ini
You will need to include hidden and system files in your extended search.
(Actually it's just on D:\boot.ini - assuming D drive is the slave)
The rename it to Boot.OLD

That way, the Xp can boot, but it will never start Windows Xp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back