Moving files from PC#1 to PC#2 through Ethernet???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 4 gigs of data to move from one computer to another. I'm looking for a one shot solution here, long term networking is not needed.

Both PCs have Ethernet ports. Can I simply plug an ethernet wire between them and somehow get access to PC1 from PC2 for the file transfer?

Any advice is welcome, thanks :D

You need to set up TCP/IP in every case.

After that you can either set up the Microsoft Networking (workgroup names, etc) or just download some FTP server software.

Sorry, I'm not a tech person. I just want to hook both computers together, in the same room, so I can copy my files.

Do I extra hardware to do this? Can I somehow network them without additional hardware? I don't want to spen a lot of time setting it up, I just want to get my files transfered and be done with it.

Thanks.

You could just get a router and connect them through that.. or try to go right click on Start ! Explore ! My network places
Go through all of them and then try to see if you have anything there...also you need to share your files.

Yeah I went through the Network Wizard and it didn't help. MS really dropped the ball on this, I must say. This should be a peice of cake, hook em up and go.

*sigh*

Well I guess I'll have to get a router or just borrow a friends CD burner sometime... :(

Thanks for the input guys.

Actually, I really tried to google it. However, without knowing what you are looking for it can be difficult to find it. I'll check out that article you suggested, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back