Moving old hard drive to new computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamerex

Alright. You can read my system specs already, and I'm trying to get my old 20 gig hard drive containing Xp home editon with a bunch of software and drivers already there. I don't have acess to the install disc, so I can't perform a OS repair. When I start it everythings fine, but it has that choose: (safe mode;normal start;last good config) screen. None of them work, becuase when ever I choose one, it does some booting stuff, like that load bar or listing of a whole bunch of system files. All normal right? Now then, the moment after that, it flashes blue screen with some green and red colors in some places, then it restarts. I think it may work if I could somehow uninstall the drivers from THIS OS, the one I'm running now(system specs). Oh one more thing:Lesee if anyone can solve this, um... put some special thing in your signiture or something?;)

Your old hard drive won`t work with the new computer. That`s because it contains all the hardware setup and drivers for the old system.

Only way is to attach it as a slave drive and get your important data off of it. Then re-attach the drive as master and reformat the drive.

Regards Howard :)

You should buy a new (larger) hardisk. Then install the new program of your choice. I installed my hard drive from an ECS mobo into an ASUS board and my Windows XP actually worked. This was unusual. Almost always, you have to reformat. I mentioned that you get a larger hardisk because 20 gigs is going to seem too small as you go along your way, downloading and storing files. Good Luck. P.S. If your mobo has a SATA outlet, get a SATA hardisk.

I really get the feeling no one bothered to read the system specs. It's on that little arrow. Let me restate the problem. I already have an entire computer set up. I'm trying to ADD a hard drive to it so I can boot XP AND Vista. Unfortunatly, the old OS won't work(There's a blue screen of death). The only way I can see to make it work is to uninstall the drivers from the old hard drive. To say, is there a way to do it when you're not using XP because i'm using Vista right now, and the old hard drive containing XP is attached to it.

you cannot reuse your old drive on a new system as the primary drive unless it is formatted and windows is reinstalled.

if you had a retail disc you can use the fix from install disc
the MS license makes it legal
if oem it is illegal to use on another machine
from your description having no disc I would say oem and not allowed
go to MS website and look up (How to migrate OS )

Primary drive=Master hard drive.

You should certainly be able to put your old hard drive in your new computer, but only as a slave drive.

You should then be able to access your data.

If you get an access denied message, take a look at this thread HERE.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back