Moving OS and Data to a new HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Norton Ghost or PowerQuest Drive Image. They both allow you to make "images", like a cd's .iso file to backup your HDDs. Both are equally easy to use, effective, etc. It's only a matter of personal choice I'd say...

That's the best way...

V is absolutely right. He forgot to mention the quickest, easiest and most head ache free way to do it too. Partion Magic will do it too....

Originally posted by boeingfixer
V is absolutely right. He forgot to mention the quickest, easiest and most head ache free way to do it too. Partion Magic will do it too....

I think "best" sums it up quite nicely :haha:

:eek: I can't imagine how it would feel to have a HDD to HDD copy fail :eek:

Using DriveCopy to transfer

Do I need to format new HD to transfer OS and data? The POST detects the old and new HD, but when I look into "My Computer" only C: is shown. Guess I just assumed DriveCopy would perform formatting? Thanks.

Yes you will need to format you new hard drive before you can use it. You may also need to create a partition on it as well. Boot up with a Windows 98 boot floppy, type fdisk and hit enter. Yes enable large disk support, then after that you will want to create primary DOS partition on your new drive.
After that it will make you reboot, do this, still boot up from the cd. Now you can format your new drive by typing format x: where "x" is your new hard drive. Before you do this you might try to dir x: just so you be sure that this is infact your new hard drive and not your old one.
Now boot into windows, and you can use your new drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back