Moving XP Vista System Folders to Dynamic Volume

By firecraker
Jul 13, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello,

I initially used hardware RAID 0 (fakeraid) to speed up my pc. However, I can't easily use linux due to drivers being closed source, and I feel that, atleast with my raid controller, hardware raid is infact slower than software raid, after doing alot of benchmarking.

I converted both discs in windows to dynamic, and created stripped volumes. The problem is Windows itself is on the simple system volume, and can't be installed on a stripped dynamic volume.

So, is there any way I can move, or, how much of the windows system folder and program files folder and documents and settings folder can I move onto the stripped dynamic volume and still have windows boot? How do I configure things so that programs, and any newly installed programs install into the folders on the dynamic volume?

i heard many accounts of it being possible, but I can't find anything on google.

Also, how does the process differ using vista?

lengthy instructions are no problem, actually desirable and greatly appreciated :)
  2. membrane

membrane Newcomer, in training Posts: 42

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.