Mozilla and partners launch first Firefox OS smartphone

By Jos
Jul 1, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Up until now Firefox OS devices have only been available to developers and in limited quantities. But starting tomorrow people in Spain will be able to get the ZTE Open through Telefónica, for just for 69 euros (about $90) or...

Read more
  2. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TechSpot Guru Posts: 802   +87

Looks cool. It's not the Seabird, but it's a start.
  3. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TechSpot Booster Posts: 944   +94

A new OS with [unimpressive] features we already have. Not impressed... at all.
  4. Puiu

Puiu TechSpot Addict Posts: 1,023   +90

Dual core 1ghz smartphones are very cheap now. I know they are going for the cheapest phones on the market, but we already have a lot of china quality android ones.
    they need to work a lot more if they want a piece of the pie.
  5. Wow. Sometimes the race has started so long ago, it doesn't even make sense to compete. Firefox apps? lol. If the OS is as bloatey as the browser, no thanks. Android PAWNS this market.
  6. Mortalife

Mortalife Newcomer, in training

7. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,725   +874

Cheap Android phones are great, why do we need this?
  8. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,773   +1,429

lol

Because it comes with the new Firefox logo. ;P
    JC713 likes this.
  9. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,725   +874

They are both open source, so I cannot find any reason why anyone would buy this over Android xD.
  10. havok585

havok585 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 103   +18

Yea, but u see, mozilla doesnt send your data back through their servers where NSA can peek all day long, that's google for u.
    avoidz likes this.
  11. Nobina

Nobina TechSpot Booster Posts: 346   +67

To me it looks unappealing. Plus, I don't have any problems with Android since it is easy to use, very customizable, has tons of unique launchers and skins, apps and so on...

12. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,831   +707

Oh I don't know... I wouldn't mind taking it for a spin. Maybe this will make smartphones even cheaper... Always a good thing.
    Darkshadoe likes this.
  13. Sunny87

Sunny87 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 120   +11

The OS is reminiscent of the past touch screen phones we've already had from LG act.

The only thing impressive about this is how powerful HTML5 is by building an OS with it I'm quite impressed but I'm not surprised considering how versatile it is with very little effort.
  14. Darkshadoe

Darkshadoe TechSpot Maniac Posts: 516   +96

I don't use 3/4th of the apps I have on my phone, so if they would keep the bloatware at a minimum, I might consider picking this phone up.
  15. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,773   +1,429

You know if they did decide to cut bloat, it would be the 1/4 that you actually use. lol
    Darkshadoe likes this.
  16. Indeed, great answer.
  17. pmshah

pmshah Newcomer, in training Posts: 81

For one it does not have memory hof YouTube !
  18. pmshah

pmshah Newcomer, in training Posts: 81

The photo displays the ZTE logo. I have been using ZTE networking components ( Modems, routers) for well over 5 years. My ISP (BSNL) which is the largest telephony service provider in the country uses ZTE products at exchange level. While D-Link and Belkin products simply and literally fell apart ( mainly antennas and power supplies) aprt from going dead, ZTE products are going strong without even slightest glitch. These are working in 24/7 environment. So I would not compare them with other Chinese range of Android phones, at least not from the build point of view. So yes there is very definitely a need for low cost good quality products.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.