Mozilla Foundation celebrates a decade of Firefox with new release

Shawn Knight

Staff member

mozilla celebrates years firefox mozilla happy birthday web browser

Mozilla’s Firefox web browser turned 10 years old on November 9 and to celebrate the occasion, the foundation is rolling out a handful of new products and programs.

Mozilla has released a new version of Firefox that’s said to be faster than ever. It includes the option to use DuckDuckGo as your search engine on desktop and mobile and a new Forget feature that gives you an easy way to clear out some of your recent activity.

The foundation has also launched a privacy initiative called Polaris in partnership with the Center for Democracy and Technology (CDT) and the Tor Project. The idea here is to bring people together to explore new approaches to enhance privacy controls online.

Last but not least, Mozilla has also published a developer edition of Firefox.

A decade is an absolute eternity in the fast-paced world of technology but Mozilla’s accomplishment is even more impressive when you consider what was going on back in 2004.

When Firefox first hit the scene, Microsoft enjoyed an overwhelming 90 percent plus market share. While Microsoft still has a majority share of the browser market at a little over 56 percent, Internet Explorer has ceded more than seven percent of the market to Firefox and 13.05 percent to Google’s Chrome according to data from NetMarketShare.

Firefox is now available in more than 90 languages and while it may not be loved by all, it is the only major browser developed to serve its users instead of giant corporations like Apple, Google and Microsoft and is also truly open source.

Permalink to story.

Mozilla Firefox is a popular name among the many web browsers known. The portable edition of Mozilla Firefox is an admired offering that has materialized the users' need of a portable app for web browser.

I have long ago switched to Chrome because chrome was better for developers. but if firefox makes a come back I will be happy, I will download and look into this.

I have long ago switched to Chrome because chrome was better for developers. but if firefox makes a come back I will be happy, I will download and look into this.

How come if I might ask?

There are plenty of addons for Firefox that are all in for developers.

What I did not like about Chrome, first it was the no-master-password policy, Firefox privacy and security tools are awesome, second, having open the same tabs Chrome took twice the amount of ram (Even with my firefox having addons and whatnot), third, considering that Chrome lets you have profiles for different people on the fly they never consider privacy nor security in between profiles relevant and this is a huge minus for them.

Personally at work I run IE9, IE11, Firefox, Chrome, Opera and used to have Safari for PC.
I still have a loyalty to Opera and never really took to Firefox, but find myself using Chrome more and more. And only use IE for IE only legacy stuff, and work related bits and pieces.

Just hurry up and release 60 fps support for youtube already
Just change your user agent to Chrome. It's Google preventing competitors from using the 60fps youtube, not other browsers not being able to.

I personally like Firefox and still use it, it's just a shame now how it looks like Chrome. Having all the functionality right in front of you was nice, now it's hidden in a menu just like chrome.

....{ }....I personally like Firefox and still use it, it's just a shame now how it looks like Chrome. Having all the functionality right in front of you was nice, now it's hidden in a menu just like chrome.
First of all, there are tons of free skins available for Firefox. I've never used it in its stock appearance. I always use black themes, as to me, they're more relaxing

Second, Firefox still has all the menu bars it has always had. I think they're now hidden by default. Just go to "view", and check those you want.

Id be a lot happier with Firefox if Adobe Flash Player would work on a site like CBS.com...had to go to Chrome to watch reruns...

For a start, how about fixing the functionality of the back button that never worked.

For a start, how about fixing the functionality of the back button that never worked.
I've never witnessed a browser that had that issue. I've used IE, Opera, and Firefox.

You must be talking about websites that forward multiple times, which in my opinion is designed to keep a visitor on their site. If so, you are wrongfully assigning blame.

"I've never witnessed a browser that had that issue. I've used IE, Opera, and Firefox.

You must be talking about websites that forward multiple times, which in my opinion is designed to keep a visitor on their site. If so, you are wrongfully assigning blame."

Nope, never had the same issue with Opera/IE. Used to have the same issue with Opera 'til they switch to Chrome engine.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Which seems to place us at parity, as I'm also sure you have no idea what you're talking about.

If the "back arrow" is lit, the "back arrow" will work!

Coming from your Email client, if you click on an advertiser's name or product, you'll open a new tab. With a new tab, a back button won't appear. In the case of Newegg, if you click on a product in the ad, it will open in a new tab. Again, no back button appears.

Still, you can click into the same tab from a search page, many times, and every time you click, the page will be placed into the browser's memory.

I'm thinking you haven't a clue what you're talking about, or you're a shill for Google.

Whether or not that's the case, doesn't matter. I won't be changing my browser for Chrome now, or in the foreseeable future.

The addon community for Firefox adds all the functionality you might ever need.

To the guest saying the back button doesn't work, lol.

Back