TechSpot

Mozilla: No need for app stores with mobile Firefox

By Justin
Dec 18, 2009
  1. The success of Apple's App store changed the world's opinion about the future of mobile computing. Billions of downloads and mountains of cash were enough to convince Microsoft, Google, RIM and many others that lightweight app development was vital for smartphones in the years ahead. Mozilla, however, has other plans.

Read the whole story

2. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 981   +31

The proof of the pudding is in the eating. First let mobile Firefox arrive, work on a multitude of platforms, prove to be fast, compatible and convenient to use, then we'll talk.

I tried the available version on my Windows Mobile phone and found it underwhelming.

3. Puiu

Puiu TS Maniac Posts: 1,073   +100

I agree with ET3D. Firefox will have a very tough fight ahead. But i would still love to see apple suffer a bit ^_^

4. compdata

compdata TechSpot Paladin Posts: 604

Will be interesting to see what comes of this. Not sure i think they will do away with app stores though. Apple will probably just block this firefox mobile anyway.

5. tengeta

tengeta TS Enthusiast Posts: 632

The app store is just a nickel and dime factory to begin with, it would be nice to see a more logical/ethical business model down the road. Unfortunately from what I've read so far Fennec is a little lackluster. The point is valid though, most apps are just an interface to deal with a website you normally go to on your PC.

6. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 981   +31

I think that a good mobile browser will allow third party game stores, and that's possibly what Mozilla is talking about. On the PC there are quite a few web based app and game stores. Actually, the Orange store on my phone is web based, too, so it's not like it's not already happening in Mobile. It's just that a good fully specced browser will likely make this experience more feature rich and streamlined.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.